When my son was born i did NOT have him circumcised. Are there any health concerns as to why i should have done it or made the right decision?

DaiquiriMarie

Asked by DaiquiriMarie at 4:16 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• your son was born perfect. no, you dont need to do anything, just wash it same as you wash the rest of him, do NOT pull back the foreskin, it is attached, and will detach on its own, when he is 5 or so. when it does, teach him to gently pull back the foreskin and wash himself daily.
    the foreskin is an incredibly important piece of skin, it was designed to protect the head of the penis. it has a job, and should not be removed willy nilly or for fashion purposes.
    there is so much current research to support leaving baby boys intact, most of the world does not circ, and places that do, have their percentages dropping each year.
    unless there is a problem, why cut it off-no one routinely removes other areas of the body because they *might* cause a problem later on (problems that are generally caused by poor hygiene)
    just reach him to be a clean and hygienic individual
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 4:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Why are you under the impression that circumcising is the "right" decision? The only thing you have to do is make sure the foreskin is GENTLY pulled back as far as it is willing to go and cleaned well underneath. I spoke with a urologist at the time of my son's birth and he said the only reason to do a circumcision is for cosmetic purposes. There are a lot of baby boys going uncircumcised these days so its not like an uncircumcised boy is going to look "different" in the hs locker room.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:30 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Why should he be circumcised? No boys where I am from are, including my husband, my dad, ALL the male people in my family and my husband's family and they are perfectly fine. Absolutely NO health reason to do it whatsoever. Just clean the area under the foreskin very gently and your boy will be fine.
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 4:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• That's good to know. I mostly had a lot of pressure to do it from my son's father and all my friends questioned why i didn't do it. But since my son stayed in the hospital for nearly a month after his birth and dealt with a lot of needles, surgery etc. i just felt bad. Couldn't bare to put my baby through any more pain.
    DaiquiriMarie

Comment by DaiquiriMarie (original poster) at 4:40 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Did you know the American circ rate is down to 33%!!!!! Thats the lowest its been in years!

You just need to educate yourself on his care...or rather...lack of care that his penis will need....lol

Leave it alone, never retract it. He will do that when he is older.

My son is almost 8 and has never retracted and thats ok.

Lucky boy with all his penis :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:52 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• You made the right decision, keep it clean and it will be fine.

Answer by older at 9:58 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Just keep it clean...Very important. My nephew was not circumcised and when he was 6 they had to do it because no matter how clean he kept it it was getting infected almost every week. It was very painful for him when he had to get it done. So just make sure you take care of it.
    Littleguysmommy

Answer by Littleguysmommy at 10:05 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Just keep it clean like you would any other weenie :)
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:07 AM on Feb. 4, 2011