How to deal with a depressed husband? Any advice?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 4:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Health

• He has to want to change himself, you cant change him. All you can do is let him know your right there and your going to support him no matter what. People who are depressed often feel alone, even if they arent. All you can do is let him know that your there. I would really encourage him every day to see someone. No one can just snap out of it alone. He needs to see someone, and maybe your the only one who can make him realize how serious, and how much he needs to do this for himself first, then his family.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 4:55 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I think it's a long term thing, because it has to do with chronic disease. So it won't just pass after a while. It's draining for the whole family.
    I want to show him that I care without tuning into his mood. I want to stay positive without acting like nothing's wrong. How do I do that?!?
    BeachMom81

Comment by BeachMom81 (original poster) at 4:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Just tell him you understand and be very supportive but upbeat. Let him talk to you about his thoughts and feelings.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:35 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• If he is reluctant to take antidepressants, let him know that chemical changes take place in the depressed brain. Sometimes, a time on medication is really the best way to help swing one back up. A counselor is very important, too.

If you haven't already, try reading a bit on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) for the both of you. It really helps.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 8:11 AM on Feb. 4, 2011