How can I get my baby to sleep?

We cosleep 99% of the time with my 7 1/2 month old Nathan. In the past week or so he has been sleeping very fitfully and for shorter periods each night. We moved a week and half ago, and then he had gotten a bit of a cold, so I chalked alot of it up to those reasons he was uncomfortable and not sleeping well. But now that he is better, and seems to be well settled into his new home, he continues to not sleep well at all. I would say he never sleeps more than a hour without waking, and after maybe 6 hours of sleeping like that, he will start to wake about every 10-20 mins kicking the crap out of us, whining, and turning towards his father trying to nurse. He went from sleeping until anywhere from 7-9 and only waking once or twice to nurse, to sleeping like this in 2 weeks time, and he is perpetually waking earlier and earlier. I try to keep him up past his bedtime so he will sleep later to no avail. Please help, I'm tired!

wildsun

Asked by wildsun at 6:49 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it sounds like you should maybe break the whole baby sleeping in bed thing, that can cause alot of problems now and in the long run. your son is never going to want to sleep alone if you dont start now. and maybe the feeling of his parents being right next to him in bed keeps him up, or just the movements constantly around him. also if your saying he is trying to nurse his father it is very possible that at night while he is sleeping the smell of his mothers milk is waking him up. just a little advice!
    Tiff08x3

Answer by Tiff08x3 at 9:28 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• That is really bad advuce from the above poster. You son will naturally become more and more independent as time goes on..but at his own pace. As long as you dont push your child out of the bed before they are ready then he will not be clingy.

My son took about a month to adjust to our new home...we moved two months ago and he has just turned 1! He was quite frustrating in this sense too. But he calmed down. I would just try to have patience. If there is nothign else you think it could be ....illness still, growth spurt, something else different in his life..then its probably still readjusting.

My son appeared to be well adjusted like you say too but his sleeping was a bit out of wack for quite a while after..but he is now back to normal.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:28 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• If hes nursing too he probably just needs the comfort right now and reassurance...my son has only just started to settle down from this after being in the new house for 2 months..he was feeding through the night/ or wanting comfort.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:34 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• while I don't like the idea of co-sleeping, I think that you are the parent, so if you want to co-sleep, that is totally up to you. I do not think that is the issue. He probably isn't really adjusted to the new house and he could be going through a growth spurt or teething. Both could be causing him to want to nurse more and to be restless.
    Anonymous

• I am not for co-sleeping, but I am not your babys parent, and I am sure you are making the best decision for him...
    You may want to try having him sleep in his crib just to see what happens... Think about it this way, he really cant get much LESS sleep... and you may get a little more. Try sticking to a routine, such as bath, bottle, binky, lights out in babys room (light is not necessary and can be distracting to babies), kiss goodnight, and exit quietly.
    Also Baby Basics is a great book for getting babies to sleep through the night... They guarantee it within 3 days - I dont know about all that, but they do have great tips.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 7:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM! my son was co-sleeping with me and my husband too-until he was 6 months old- we moved to a new house and I felt like I wasnt getting enough sleep. I asked my ped about it and he gave me GREAT advice- he said to start off by feeding your baby right before you put them in the crib then when they wake up come in the room and tell them "it's alright it's time to go night night" and walk out. Do this about every 5 minutes until they fall asleep. DO NOT TOUCH your baby or you'll have to start all over. I used this mehod and he is sleeping through the night and I dont have to feed him every two hours! It's great because this gives my husband and I some us time and it lets my son get quality sleep! just remember- feed em, then just say "its alright, time to go to bed" every 5 minutes so they know you're still there! if you tough it out another week you'll have blissful sleep!!
    littlemommakirk

Answer by littlemommakirk at 9:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Thanks for the input everyone. I am beyond ready to let little man sleep on his own, the co sleeping is a concession for my husband. He has OCD, GSAD, etc. and it is incredibly difficult for him to hear a baby cry (As you can imagine, this has made my life exceptionally difficult) so we have let him sleep with us longer than we originally intended to co sleep, because I am fairly certain DH would have some sort of a meltdown if we attempted to Ferberize. He is going to be away for about a week, in which period of time I will start the method you had mentioned littlemommakirk, and I believe DS will successfully be sleeping on his own by the time his father returns home. The nights DS sleeps on his own, I have noticed that he does sleep better by himself.
    I hadn't realized it could take him that long to adjust to his new surroundings, so thanks so much for the advice everyone.
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 11:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2008