18 month old

my 18 month old daughter is a horrible sleeper. shes always been. i will not let her cry it out.. i have tried it and things ended up worse. right now we are sitting here watching caillou because she's been up since 3 am and i couldn't take the crying anymore. this does not usually happen where we have to come downstairs but i'm just so exhausted. when will she sleep? anyone have experiences with really bad sleepers? what did you do? thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She may have her days and nights mixed up or she may be napping too much during the day or napping too close to bedtime. I wouldn't turn the tv on for her because that's stimulating and it could actually keep her awake. Put her to bed the same time eac night and put her down for a nap the same time everyday.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 5:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• she naps everyday fine.. for 2 hours sometimes 2 1/2. and she is so exhausted by 830pm that if i keepher up shes just fussing or hanging on me because she is so tired.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:12 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Have you tried a nighttime routine, which you'll keep every night? Start it from tomorrow. About 40 mins before she goes to bed, warm up some milk. Fill the tub with warm water. Put some nighttime oils in there for babies, they are available in almost every store and super market. Put her in the tub, wash her back gently, her hair, with really gentle and soft movements, even if she is playing and moving around fast, etc, you still keep calm and soft. Talk to her in a soft tone of voice and tell her things like This is so relaxing and nice, isn't it? You'll go to bed soon to just lay down, close your eyes and fall asleep. Take her out of the tub, put her in a tower, gently dry her, put on her jammies and just hug her or hold her for a sec so she can feel you close. Kiss her, cuddle her, talk to her in a soft voice. Take her to her room (or wherever she sleeps) put her in her bed and give her the warm milk.
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 5:20 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• If she doesn't want the milk, then it's no problem, just leave it. Stay with her for a bit, tell her you love her and you'll be right there if she needs you but it's sleeping time now. Give her a kiss and then go out of the room. If she starts crying, leave her for 2 minutes. Go back in the room and reassure her, in a soft voice, even if she is crying, that everything is ok and mommy's right there. Go out again. If she doesn't stop, leave her for 5 minutes this time. Go in after that and do the same. Increase the time you leave her crying every time, till 15 mins but I honestly don't think it will take this long. I had this problem with my daughter and this is how it was solved for me - she is now 16 months and is sleeping throughout the night, without a sound. I hope it works for you, try it. Good luck, message me if you want more information or details, I'll be happy to tell you.
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 5:23 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Have you discussed this with your pediatrician? It could also be acid reflux; for most adults their indigestion flares up at night, this also happens to children. It sounds like she is a good sleeper at other times of the day though so I doubt she has her days and nights mixed up. We have a similar routine as Marianne140; within 30 minutes of his bath my son is out cold. We also do a baby massage, started that from when he was just born. It instantly calms him down, when he has growth spurts my son has issues with sleeping - he'll go down at his normal time then wake up between 3am and 5 am crying. The only way I can calm him down is to give him a massage.
    DeeDee323

Answer by DeeDee323 at 7:17 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My oldest has autism and was up for a couple of hours every night for about 3 months between the ages of 2-3. I would not let him out of his bed - if he got to get up and play/watch tv then it was like rewarding him for behavior I didn't want to continue! He had to stay in his bed and my ex or I would go in and lay down with him. I told him as long as he was still/quiet, I would stay. If he was noisy or moving, I would leave. He understood the "rules" and had no problem keeping still/quiet after a few nights, even when he did wake up. Eventually, he stopped waking.

Answer by missanc at 9:39 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• my youngest son was the same way and kinda still is and hes almost two but i have let him try to cry it out that never works. What i did for a little while and it kinda helped was took him out of his crib do not turnn the tv or anything on and rocked him and put his back in his crib. that worked for a little while now when he wakes up and doesnt want to go back to sleep i give him a little bottle of water and it works like a charm i dont know why but it does.. lol... GOOD LUCK
    Littleguysmommy

Answer by Littleguysmommy at 10:13 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I have a 2 year old and she has always been a great sleeper. However, My step brother who will be 4 this year has never been a good sleeper. But what my step mother and father did was VERY helpful. At a young age, they would put him in his crib which was in the other room at first. Then as he woke up as normal babies would, they moved the crib into their room. As it got more difficult for them to sleep and as he got older, they introduced co-sleeping. He sleeps like a baby now. Most of the time all kids want is to be close to mommy and daddy. Even when sleeping. My daughter has slept with me since day one and she LOVES her sleep to this day. I also do not believe in "crying it out". Many people have issues with co-sleeping but it has been around FOR EVER in many different cultures, including american culture! My husband and I love to share our bed with our baby - it is a comfort for us and her. <3 Good luck
    jacquiey9285

Answer by jacquiey9285 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 4, 2011