We are getting a PUPPY!!!

a AKC yellow lab pup! So I have a few questions... the oldest dog I have gotten was about 7 mo so....What type of puppy food do you get and when is it afe to switch to reg dog food? Any other tips to share? Thanks so much~

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 8:25 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Pets

• DO NOT feed the dog food from the grocery store. So no, IAMS, Science Diet, Puppy or Dog Chow, Ol Roy, or Pedigree. www.dogfoodadvisor.com will help you choose what food is best for your dog and your budget.

Buy the dog a crate, crate training is a wonderful tool to help your pup settle in, keep your floors clear from accidents and for your peace of mind. Put the dog in the crate when you can't pay attention to it, at night, or when you go out. To house train, take the pup out every hour on the hour, stay outside until the dog pees and then praise, praise, praise. If the pup doesn't go, put him into his crate (dogs won't mess in their crates).
    con't
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 8:47 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• DO NOT give the dog rawhide bones, they can choke on them.
    DO NOT let the dog live outside. Dogs who live outside are not socialized enough, bark from boredom, can get hurt, run away, and they also have a host of behavioural issues.
    DO NOT take the puppy if the puppy is less then 8 weeks old. A reputable breeder will NOT let a dog go before the puppy turns 8 weeks. Make sure the puppy has all their shots and it's parents have their health checks done and are champion dogs. If not, as hard as it will be, do some more research and find a better breeder.
    Be patient, the puppy will be scared and lonely and will cry for the first week or so. DO NOT EVER hit, scream, beat, abuse, neglect or kick the dog....I hope that goes without saying.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 8:50 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Labs are medium to large breed dogs so they should be kept on a HIGH quality (as Acid stated, none of the foods found at the grocery store or Walmart) large breed puppy food until they are ATLEAST 12 months old, preferably 18-24 months, as they aren't finished growing until then. Some all life stage foods are okay for large breed pups, but you HAVE to look at the calcium/phosphorus ratio. It is too high of a ratio that leads to too-rapid growth, NOT too high protein. High protein foods are better for dogs (as long as they don't have any pre-existing conditions) as long as it is a good source of protein, NOT corn/wheat/soy, but NAMED meat sources because they are carnivores and NEED meat.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Other than the above mention the only other thing I can say is you are getting a big dog with lots of energy so you really need to train it! Find it. start working on it from a few months on. Once he/she is old enough take him or her to a actual training course for not just commands but socialization. It is funny and cute as puppies when they are jumping around and being silly but It is not funny or cute to have a 80 pound dog that jumps up on you and drags you down the street!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:19 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• That is soo true But Mommie- we had a golden so are used to the energy of a big dog and luckily my cousin is a trainer and wuill start aspa with the pup~ thanks to all of you for the advice! Keep it commin
    rebeccadac

Comment by rebeccadac (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yellow labs are the best, I love them! Do you have a name for your puppy?

I agree, buy a nice crate and take that pup everywhere possible with you. The puppy socialization rule of sevens is a good guide to follow!

Congratulations!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:26 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Sorry forgot the food question....I feed my dogs Fromm's food, I would use their puppy food. Innova and Orijen are also high quality diets for your puppy. I would recommend that you consider subscribing to the whole dog journal, it is a great source for information on everything dog including in depth articles about your pet's diet and reviews on dog kibble.

Good luck with your puppy!!!

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:34 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

PERFECTLY SAID :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:54 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Congratulations
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Oh, I have Shetland Sheepdogs and I feed them Taste of the Wild. It is grain-free and Diamond (the manufacturer) claims it is an all life stage food, BUT from what I've read it really isn't appropriate for large breed puppies because of the cacium/phosporus ratio.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:27 AM on Feb. 5, 2011