Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Welfare 'Privacy'?

I am a single mom on welfare at the moment. I want to leave state and remain on welfare but wondering if my son's father tries to bring me to court, can he find out my address by talking to DHHS or calling my case worker? Or will my caseworker give out my information if asked for by court?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Answers (13)
  • No, your case worker cannot release your address to him.

    Answer by CraftingMama at 9:01 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • no she can't do that. it is illegal. but you will have to have your case transfered to the state and county youre moving to.

    Answer by mama2bof2 at 9:04 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • I am of course reapplying. Nothing I am doing is illegal - my son's father has no rights, there is no custody or visitation agreements, nothing has ever been brought to court before. I would kindly like to leave before he realizes and tries to control my life and keeps me here. He does not care about his son, he cares about controlling me.

    I just want to know if there is a way, apart from someone I know, telling him where I live - is it possible he can find out through my case workers? OR if my case workers are obligated to contact someone if my name 'comes up in system' about having a court order back to my old state. WILL my name come up in the system like that?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:10 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • If the court order it and has a warrant for the information she has to comply but other than that no one can get any of your information.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • I would tell him that you are leaving. not where you are going because if he shows up at your house and then takes you to court its going to look real bad on you. i would talk it over with your caseworker also and figure out the best way to go about it. i always thought if you are on welfare the father has to pay child support but i have no idea how that all works about him finding out where its going if it changes. he might not. but becareful. you do not want this to blow up in your face. just go through the legal system. that is the best bet. is it work related why you are leaving? i know you said you are on welfare but you can still have a job and be on welfare i thought. anyways, good luck

    Answer by lambdarose at 9:32 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • No one can get the information from an organization, but you can't stop people from talking. A co-worker isn't obligated to keep her mouth shut if you tell her where you are going.

    Answer by Marwill at 9:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • no the case worker cant get out that info....and for a court to order you to appear the person filing the papers has to know where you are in order to get the papers served to you....its kinda complicated if you going to move, call or go in and see your worker tell her/him what your doing and file the correct paper work so you can reply where ever you move too.....and dont for any reason tell people back home what you new address ......good luck

    Answer by cara124 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • Read the following The Privacy Act.  GL


    Answer by musicmom08 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • No, your information is confidential. They can't give him your information unless you give them permission.

    Answer by Scuba at 10:23 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

  • He can have anyone that knows you served with court papers and you have to appear in court. It will only look bad for you to take off with the child and not tell his father where he is. He is the child's father HE HAS RIGHTS.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 11:52 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.