I have a 24 year old daughter that goes to school and works also. What do you think of her father making inspections of her room to make sure she is keeping it clean? I agree she is sloppy, but I feel that is her room and he shouldn't be inspecting it. He disagrees and says it is his house and he has a right to do this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• 24 y/o? She is an adult and should be able to keep a lock on her door. That is her private space. Her Dad needs to back off!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:35 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I don't disagree with him. At her age she should know enough to be respectful of your property. Her room is in your house. She is not a minor and doesn't have any legal right to be under your roof. She is more than welcome to move out if she doesn't like how she is being treated. Is she paying any rent? She should be.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:35 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• thats a tough one first she should be respecting your property by not destorying it , but second he should be respecting her as an adult person (she isnt a child).....honestly because it sounds like this issue is cause a lot of family drama i would help your daughter find an apartment/roommate situation she could aford and move her out before the tension be comes to much for everyone....good luck
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:40 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• You said sloppy so I am assuming nothing that would be really bad. She should have her private space.

If she is paying rent then there is no way he should be inspecting.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• she doesnt pay rent, but will help with any expenses we need help with.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• going to school and working is tough why dont you offer her help to tidy her room?
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:52 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• i do help her, in fact i am doing it today because its inspection day. She has been at school all day and then works nights, she hasn't had time to do it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• she is paying her way through college, we didn't have anything to give her for it. So no, she really doesn't have much. It isn't like she is working at her full time job that she will have when she graduates this spring. It is part time job at night.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:56 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Sounds like their is more going on to me. There must be more to it than just inspecting for messes. Sounds to me like he doesn't trust her.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• personally, i find that ridiculous. is she cleaning up her other messes around the house, like laundry, dishes, bathroom? if so then its none of his business what her room looks like.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:00 AM on Feb. 4, 2011