I have a very strong willed 2 year old boy who needs to not have his pacifier anymore. Any advice?

bkohlman

Asked by bkohlman at 8:15 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• make a ceremony out of it....gather all the pacifiers into a bag, drive to the hospitol (or designated spot) dumb the pacis in the trash can "donation bin" to donate the to the babies. Then take him out for a big boy celebration (prize, icecream, etc)
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:29 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My mom paid someone to take mine (no joke!)

I still had mine at friggin four years old, she'd tried everything to get me to stop.

So she told one of her friends to bribe me. I know that's not exactly morally right, but you don't know that when you're four, do you? Her friend showed me a dollar and was like "I have a little girl at home that doesn't have and pacifiers. Yours is really pretty and I know she'd just love it. Can I give you a dollar for your paci?"

And whattaya know, I took the dollar and according to my mom, I never looked back.

I dunno...it's a thought :P
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:24 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I have the same problem with my two yr old daughter. But, I don't agree with just taking it away. Only because I had mine until I was like four, which is way too long, but my father took it away and so I discovered my thumb and sucked it until 9th grade and of course had to have braces. The way I see it is that it should be taken away when the child can understand why unless he lets go of it on his own. Because if he discovers his thumb you can't take that away and it will cause far more damage than the pacifier. I worry a lot about my daughter still using hers at this age but I don't want her to go through what I did, so until she's ready she can have it but only at bedtime and naptime other than that its away from her the rest of the time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• We used the "paci fairy" method we saw on Super Nanny. We told her it was time to give them to her for babies who didn't have one, and that she would leave a "Big Girl"present in return. We used the tree out back, in the morning we got up and she got a "big girl" coloring book and crayons, we had a few nights where she would mention it but then she would say" I gave my pacicers to babies, because I am a big girl" it was cute.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 10:08 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My daughter was stuck on her pacifiers. We kept them in a basket near her bed, and she would pick one out before bed time or nap time. I tried just taking them away from her, but she cried for a week and life was miserable in our house. I let her have them back for a while. Then, I took scissors and cut half off of the silicone parts that goes in the mouth, put them back.. When it was time for her nap, we went to the basket for her to pick one out. She picked one and tried it and she told me it was broken. She tried another, and told me it was broken too. Finally, after trying four of them, she decided to go without. She continued to try them every nap time and bed time, but she didn't cry for them because they were available to her; she was just choosing not to use them since they were "broken". It went very well and she got to make the decision not to use them.
    madbellmom

Answer by madbellmom at 11:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• take them away, throw then out. There will be crying and there will be temper tantrums, but in about 3 days, it will be over. During the crying and temper tantrums ignore all the behavior, when he isn't, praise him for being such a big boy and do special things to distract him from the fact that he is missing his pacifire.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Take them away, throw them out, I promise he'll get over it in a few days.
    SASMommy

Answer by SASMommy at 4:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I know my son was 2 1/2 and LOVED his. I took him potty one evening and as he was flushing the toilet he dropped it in the toilet and it was gone....he never asked for it again...lol I was pretty fortunate. With the bottles I just took them from my babies...I would think you could with the pacis too....Good luck!
    Rewsmommy

Answer by Rewsmommy at 9:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Did you get rid of them yet? We did the Paci Fairy technique for my son last night. He's 22 months old. I had him sign the card for the Paci Fairy - helped him hold the pen. The letter asked her to please take his pacis for other little babies because he was a big boy now. Well, he hasn't asked for it more than a couple times, but he is having a hard time sleeping. He was overjoyed with part of his gift from the Paci Fairy - an Abby Cadabby doll (Sesame Street). He could have cared less about the Thomas big boy underwear or the O-ball.
    AngelWendyMama

Answer by AngelWendyMama at 1:48 PM on Jan. 1, 2009