Do you ever get irritated with your parents when it comes to something they do for your kids?

I've been living back home since my ex and I split; there's lots that bother me when it comes to my mother - however the one very simple thing that both of my parents can't seem to figure out is that a 6 and 5 year old don't need a huge bowl of cereal for breakfast. You'd think common sense would tell you that a small child wouldn't need, nor be able, to eat what would be a large serving even for an adult. My kids will not eat a large bowl of cereal, they'll take a couple bites and then leave it to be wasted. I've told both my parents this over and over again. I'm not always home from work in time to give them breakfast since my 6 year old is a morning person and usually wakes up between 6 and 7 AM, my 5 year old isn't but is sometimes woken up early by her older sister.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• yeah my parents irritate me too but if they are the ones who bought the cereal i'd just ge like "oh well it's your money you're throwing away"
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• that would be irritating but not something i would argue over. you have to pick your battles. if theyre paying for the cereal you might want to politely point out that since shes giving them so much cereal theyre wasting food & money. tell her with children you have to start them off with a small portion and they can always have more if theyre still hungry.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• how about a trip to the dollars store (bring kids along) and let them pick out a fun bowl to have their cereal in (the have great kid size bowls with fun charaters on them) that way you have the serving size you want and the kids are choose the bowl they want to have their cereal in and you havent affended anyone (namely your parents) and everyone wins.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. So some cereal is wasted - your kids obviously have grandparents that care about them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:04 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Isn't it funny how sometimes the small things drive us absolutely crazy!? I wouldn't worry about the cereal.... grandparents have a very unique ability to spoil our kids; as well as stuff them with as much food as possible!! Maybe you should have a cup of coffee with your parents one morning after work; and just have an open conversation about the kinds of boundaries you want for your kids... Make sure to thank them too though!! Sounds like cereal might not be the issue here :)
    KiraHudson

Answer by KiraHudson at 10:30 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• tell them flat out. and if theyre the ones buying it and your kid doesnt overeat, then let them waste their money
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 10:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• No, I realize that what my parents do for my kids they do out of love - so I look past the little thing. Especially if I was living with them and they were being such a huge help, I really wouldn't make a big deal out of the small stuff!

Answer by missanc at 10:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2011