Running low grade fever for three days; she just started vomiting last night..

I'm just not sure what is wrong with my 18 month old. She broke out in a small rash on her face yesterday every time I gave her milk to drink; then she would throw it up. She is not throwing the pedialyte up or anything else, only milk. This rash is coming and going every so often too. She is also having diarreah.

Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would call your pedi, and just keep giving pedialyte like you have.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I would definately take her to the doctor on monday, but in the mean time don't give her milk. If she has a fever at all the milk will curdle in her stomach and make her throw up. I would just give her juice and pedialyte and some tylenol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Hi! When my son was her age he did the same exact thing and I took him to the doctor and was informed that he was lactose intolerant so I had to switch his diet including the milk. I would stop the milk at this time but continue giving pedialyte. My son was allergic to regular milk and would break out with rash all over his body. Give Tylenol for the fever until you get an appointment.
    shanta38134

Answer by shanta38134 at 10:01 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I would take her in to see the doc on Monday BUT if she starts puking more and won't keep anything down I would take her to the ER. There is this terrible bug out and it is harsh opn younger kids and babies. My son had the same thing you are describing. He lost 2 lbs in 5 days. He is 13 months old and weighed 23.4 lbs and when we brought him in for a follow up checkup he was 21.4. The doctors made us coem back 2 days later to make sure he was gaining weight. If he didn't he was going to have to be hooked up to nutrients in an IV. Puking and the diarhea is nothing to play with. Especially the younger little ones. I hope she feels better soon. It is a terrible bug!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 10:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Its not unusual for a child to throw up milk when sick. My guess would be viral infection, and that just needs to be waited out. But try giving her a tbs of yougert, or somthing with probiotics in it, or even a childs probiotics. If it is a bactirial infection, then it that will help even out the playing feild. Alos, are you bringing his temp down? If you are, try to let it stay up, fevers speed up the production of antibodies and antigens, and inhibits the growth and spread of bactiria and viral infections. As long as she is drinking fluids then she should be fine. Some times some of those tummy bugs can take as long as a week. Teas, and chicken broth help too. Catnip (or mint teas in general), are antibactirial in nature, and also speed up the digestive system why calming nerves. Cat nip tea works as a mild relaxent and it helps ease tummy aches.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2008