Which is worse....?

Smoking while breastfeeding (not while your holding the baby...) or NOT smoking and formula feeding?

(I know this sounds stupid, but it's a slight change on a poll)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• Smoking while breastfeeding because the nicotine is in your breast milk.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:58 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Smoking PERIOD! It's bad for and your family, or anyone around you!!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 8:37 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I agree smoking period!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Yes, obviously smoking is bad.....but that's not the question.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• They are both bad. When you smoke, even when not around the child it's still on your skin and clothes and the baby is still breathing it which is not healthy for the baby, so just stop smoking and you won't have to worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Well I guess it is a personal call. I FF both of my kids and my 5 year old is more healthy then I am and is ahead of her class, my 8 month old is healthy and picking up her motor skills either early or right on track. I quit smoking over a year ago.

My thoughts on this would be smoking is worse.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 9:30 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• i stoped smoking while i was pregnant and i brest fed,but didnt smoke..after i decided to put my son on formula i started smoking again.. its your life do what u wish just keep the smoke away from the baby. my frinds son got broncitis from people smoking in the house, so if your breast feeding and smoking that is by far the worst, cause ur feeding nicotine to your child..its kinda like letting him eat a ciggarett...yuck...
    missmom1421

Answer by missmom1421 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• um....

How about option c, doing what's best for BOTH you AND your baby.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 10:43 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Smoking.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• THey are both bad but smoking while breastfeed at least provides your child with superior nutrition and antibodies. the effects of the cigaretts can be minimised by 1) smoking outside 2) waiting at least 90 mins after smoking before nursing.
    Formula on the other hand with out smoking you kid will survive and grow on it but there could be other problems just as bad as the mom who smokes and breastfeeds faces.
    Don't smoke and breastfeed is probably the best option but you didnt ask that so in my opinion if the smoker did as stated above she would still probably be doing better by her infant in general. You could probably if you had enough time find doctors who will support either end of this argument.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2008