why do they call a child better in school - "GIFTed" ??

why is the child who struggles - or maybe a child who has to work a lot harder to learn made to felt not good enough - and the "gifted" child superior??

really? GIFTed? I get that you are blessed with a "gift" of being smart - and a fast learner. I have a 9 year old " gifted" student - but I also have an older child who struggles tremendously. Why the title though? Why gifted????

Get what I'm trying to say???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I do - but it's just a label. They have a gift for learning, hence the moniker.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:17 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• since you have more than one child and one is labeled gifted
    can you think of a better word?

if you come up with one..can you think of a better term for 'special education"
    i have a child on the other end, only 3.5, so not looking forward to all of the labels out onto her
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:19 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I am tired of our kids being labeled.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:21 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Because "cursed" would ring too true.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:21 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• "advanced learners" "advanced - in general"

"gited" just seems "better" than someone else.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Probably because they arent working harder for grades, they are just gifted...

If you work hard for something you earn it, if it's just handed to you then you have been gifted.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• They put labels on everything. But does it really matter? They don't walk around the school with the label around their neck if they are considered gifted. If their parents are the ones putting it out there the issue is with the parents.

I have one child who is termed gifted and one who isn't (the youngest isn't in school yet) The one who isn't termed gifted still brings home a 3.5-4.0.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• They have "Accelerated Learning" programs out there. But no matter what you call someone, you're still labeling them.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 10:31 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• well, it used to be that they were called smarter, which by definition made the "normal" kids dumb... being able to learn at a faster pace is a gift.
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 10:34 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I think labels are bad. Every kid is gifted in some way. Why is is only achedemical when using the term 'gifted' in school. A child might be 'gifted' in other areas but those aren't mentioned. I see your point.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 4, 2011