"President Obama may not be very liberal, but Barack Obama is"

Someone posted this in a conversation elsewhere about the face politicians present to the voters vs the actual beliefs they hold (things like claiming a religion or moral position they don't actually believe in just to get elected, or supporting a lobby group they actually don't like, or the part that brought this comment up - Obama's insistence that marriage is one man, one woman).

I find it an interesting observation - do you think the private citizen Obama is more liberal minded than the facade he presents in the role of president?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• He may be; I've found some of his comments made in informal situations to be extremely liberal. It's a bit scary; people can't stray too far from their core beliefs for too long.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:30 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I don't know, but I wish he would change his mind about gay marriage. I just don't think he's as liberal as most people seem to think he is. Most progressive liberals complain about his stance on certain issues, and not supporting gay marriage is a big one. I voted for him, but don't agree with all his stances. I agree with many of them though. I'm sure many politicians put on a different face for different groups, so if he does that then he's just like all the other politicians out there. Wouldn't surprise me. As much as I do like him, I'm sure he's similar to other politicians in many ways.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Absolutely. He's enough of a politician, and smart enough to know his true beliefs would not sit well with the majority of voters.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:38 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• He IS a politician so yes.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• His POV on gay marriage.

I think most President views change somewhat , or the action on them, due to the position they are in (to serve ALL) and the information they receive...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:42 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• IMO, he is irl a far far left liberal....he leans right just enough and just often enough to get elected.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:43 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yes but that's only for show. (as for most politicians)He's as left now as President as he ever was as a Senator or Lawyer.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I agree with YSK. It's all about getting elected / re-elected.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:53 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I think when it comes to elected officials, the better ones realize that they are not in office to push a personal agenda. The fact is, too, that they don't hold all of the power, nor should they in a democratic republic. As we've all seen, anything that a politician says can and will be used against him or her, in and out of context, and come back to haunt him/her at some point. I'm surprised that any politician would utter a word in public about any personal thoughts on a subject for that reason alone. As far as the president is concerned, I think he is like most Liberals--and most Conservatives, for that matter. He leans toward the left on some issues, is more centered on others, and may even lean right on a few issues. Even Cheney, who is about as far right as one can get is starting to lean left on the gay marriage issue, for example.  Few lean entirely in one direction or the other.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:31 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It's all about getting elected / re-elected.

I'D SAY THIS APPLIES TO ALL POLITIICANS WHO ARE ABLE TO GET ELECTED. Those who are unable or unwilling to play the game can not get elected in our current system.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2011