Would you feel guilty?

I will be gone for 4 days out of state visiting an ill relative and for the 1st time leaving my dh & dd (13) alone. I want them to see how much I do around here (and I work part time also). I don't want to 'have meals' frozen, ready, laundry done. I want them to fend for themselves. My dd is marking down on a dry erase a countdown till I leave. She's been doing this for 2 weeks. She says her and Dad are going to have a party. Should I feel guilty for not having everything hunky dory for them before I leave? Would you? I'm on the fence about it. I am looking forward to leaving to relax!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• They will be fine! I wouldn't feel guilty at all. I'm sorry about your sick relative.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:28 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I have left my husband and our three boys alone for the weekend before, 100% guilt free. My husband is an adult and he is able to care for them just fine.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Iwouldn't feel guilty either but as soon as i get over there i would feel guilty but thats just me. But i think that dad can handle it and they can also see how much you do and appreciate it!! Sorry about your sick relative, hope they get better.
    lmmorales

Answer by lmmorales at 10:31 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't. I would LOVE it if my husband would just take our 3 year old ONCE to the store or have him all day by himself so he could see what it's like lol.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I agree. They'll be fine. People learn how to fend for themselves. But you can always tell them the basics. Like how to do laundry if they need to do some, etc. That might help ease your mind.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Guilty? Heck no, lol! They will survive.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• No, you shouldn't feel guilty. If anything after a day or 2 they'll probably start feeling guilty after getting a better feel for all that you do around there. Good luck with the sick relative and try to get a little time to yourself to relax.
    Xanthlover67

Answer by Xanthlover67 at 10:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• They will be fine. I go away for a weekend with my friends every year and my husband does just fine!

Answer by missanc at 10:38 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't feel guilty.. I would however have a talk with the 13 year old on why she wants me gone so bad.. also I fear what you will come back to.. Teenagers and men don't mind mess so probably will let things fall to pot and expect you to make it all better when you get back.
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 10:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• He's just as much her parent as you are. You aren't the maid. Go and take care of your relative - that is where your focus should be. They may be uncomfortable with your absence, but they will be fine.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:43 AM on Feb. 4, 2011