potty training relapse

DS was completely potty trained for about two weeks. Even mostly overnight! Though I don't expect that for a while. But now, he's just decided that he doesn't want to use the potty anymore. That's what he told me, "I don't want to use the toilet, so I go in my pants." It's driving me crazy!! I was so glad to be over the poop cleaning...Is this normal? What do I do to make him use the toilet again??

katemama05

Asked by katemama05 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Totally normal. Almost every child regresses during toilet learning. As parents, we must also recognize that there are certain things which children must do by themselves. If you want your child to be successful in his toilet habits, you must allow him some control over this matter. He will start going on his own again. Be sure to relax, and not show him your frustration with it.
    TinaBeena1216

Answer by TinaBeena1216 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Yes, totally normal, he'll do it on his own time. I finally let Luke start going in the backyard, he thought that was fun, then we shot cheerios in the potty or sank the toilet paper...always made a game of it. He has been potty trained for a year, but still wears pull-ups to bed. He will go several weeks without a nighttime accident then have one and just be so upset about it. Don't push it, but if he does use the potty, make a huge deal about it! We would go get a treat or do something extra special each time he went. We had a sticker chart on the refrigerator and he got to put a sticker on it each time, when he got to 10, he got to go to Wal-Mart or Target and get a toy. When he got to 25 and 5 poops, we took him to a Ranger game. It worked for us. It's not bribery, just rewarding!
    jaimesue

Answer by jaimesue at 7:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2008