Milk and the date on the carton

Do you dump the milk out on the day the carton says? Or do you keep it for a few more days? I just noticed the milk I just opened today has the use by date 02/04/2011. Should I just dump it or do you think it will be okay for a couple of days?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• it will be okay. I used to work in a grocery store restocking the milk section (several years ago). If milk gets to the date on the carton while still in the store, it will go on sale. Then consumers have approximately 1 week from the date on the carton to consume the milk.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 10:45 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Don't dump it unless it smells bad. That date is a very conservative guestimate. It doesn't mean it will suddenly go bad on that date, just that you should start watching it.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:45 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It is good until a week after the date.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:46 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• well since thats todays date, it should be okay for a few more days. you could always do the smell or taste test though. for some reason milk goes bad sooner than the expiration date in my mother in laws fridge, but thats probably because she has it on the wrong setting. if milk smells funky to me, regardless of the date, it goes bye-bye! but i think your milk should be okay, just try and use it up quickly.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 4, 2011