How long did you rock your baby to sleep?

Hi everyone!
Thanks for reading my question.
Our daughter is 11 months old. She generally goes down really well for her 2 naps during the day. Once in a while she puts up a fight, but usually she's great. We put her in her crib when she's tired & she goes to sleep rather quickly. Maybe a little whining here and there & that's it.

At night, it's a different story. She SCREAMS when we put her in her crib, even when she's visibly tired.
We still rock her to sleep at night because that's the only way we've been able to get her to sleep. I keep going back & forth & second guessing myself, which can get rather annoying! :)
I keep thinking, so what if we rock her. It's what she needs now & I'll miss rocking her when she's older, but then the other part of me says... ummm how long should we do this for because eventually she'll need to go to sleep at night on her own.
Has anyone else out there rocked their baby for a long time?
I'm thinking she doesn't like the dark or maybe separation anxiety is at its peak and she knows she won't see us for a while. Thanks so much!

TP1283

Asked by TP1283 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never rocked mine to sleep. I rocked them, sang to them, cuddled them all the time, just never to the point that they were totally asleep; I always put them in their cribs drowsy but awake.

Answer by missanc at 10:45 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• IF my son fell asleep while we were rocking, he instantly woke up when I put him in his crib.. this is also a personal choice as many babies temperments are different.. I think you just do what you want to - if this works, then it works right now. she won't be 5 needing to be rocked, but if you are worried that it could set a trend you don't want to deal with.. then maybe try putting her in her crib and singing and reading a book or night time routine of a bath crib then stories or music - or once she starts falling asleep, place her in there and keep doing that until she gets that she won't be falling asleep in your arms.. good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:52 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I have always rocked, sang, prayed, and nursed my babies to sleep. I really love that time with them. Even when they are older than toddlers I still rock and sing to them. I still hold them on my lap on the rocking chair at night up until they don't fit any more. Then I sit on the edge of the bed with them. One day they will be gone and we will miss this time in our lives, so I'm not in a rush to get it over with.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 11:03 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Thank you ladies! This is why I post questions here. I always look forward to the variety of answers. MyGiftsFromGod, how inspirational. Thank you for your post!
    TP1283

Comment by TP1283 (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• She may be taking too many naps during the day? I rocked mine to sleep until they were 6-9 months old, then they preferred to go to sleep on their own.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:13 AM on Feb. 4, 2011