HOW TO POTTY TRAIN PUPPY

well we finely got our puppy. she is a mix with prrob a litttle bit of everything. she is sooo cute with a good personality if you know what I mean. and our kid get along with her good.but she wont potty out side. I can take her outside and when I bring her back in she pees right in front of me and right after. gerrrrr but anyway I dont know what to do about this its a every daything with her and I dont like to spank her I youtubed how to potty train and half of them say make a potty patch inside of the house and slow have her go out side but our kids are every where that would be a disaster. so I dont know. do any one has or had this problem or do you know any good product or and tips ...............anything????

tearb

Asked by tearb at 10:45 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Pets

• Hey they took all my answers! the crate is great. they love it once they get used to it. they will go inside and take naps or play. it is like a den to them and they don't want to potty in it. never spank your puppy please. don't get lazy on the training. work hard and it saves you work in the long run. i rescue dogs and so many are not house trained , that is why they are in the pound. if peeps would take the time it could save lives. really! good luck!!
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 8:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Crate training has always worked for me.

You spank your puppy? That really doesn't work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• This is actually a common behavior, they pee as soon as they come in and it drives the owners mad!

So, what you need to do is carry her into the house, place her in HER crate-which should not have any bedding or towels. It needs to be just big enough for her to stand up-that is IT.

Wait 5-10 minutes, if you KNOW she has to go...and carry her right back outside and tell her to "Go Potty" again. If she does, give her a little string cheese. Just a tad. If she doesn't, try rubbing her tummy a little, with some pressure, then put her back down and try "Go Potty" again. Nothing? Back to the crate for 10 minutes...repeat until she potties outside, gets the cheese bit and THEN you can bring her in the house fairly safely.

Good luck!

And don't use your hands on her..she will be confused and become hand shy.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:29 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I hope you don't spank her...anyway, if she does it when she comes inside, then back outside you go....the SECOND she ever pees outside, she gets praised and brought back in...too often people just leave them outside for a long playtime and they can't distinguish...she will have a couple accidents but you have to be consistent and yes, crate training is wonderful...dogs are denning animals and love the crate. it is not mean if you don't use it for punishment....put her in the crate and every hour you take her out to potty....give her praise, treats, whatever....in my opinion, those potty patches are lazy....they don't distinguish between inside and out. the grass should stay outside....whatever you do, don't hit with your hand or anything including paper for that matter...the dog will become fearful and could bite...just use positive reinforcement and praise. good luck :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:53 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• when you come in from outside if she goes potty right in front of you then make that a potty spot with a pad. Like if you take her outside and you know she isnt going to go then when you come in have a pad ready in the same spot every time. Make it repetitive so she stats to see oo I can pee right here and not get into trouble. Then slowly start to move the pad closer and closer to the front/back door. then after she starts to get it all the time, put the pad outside the front door so she sees oo I can pee here and that would be a great way. It worked for one of my puppies years ago.
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Use a crate. Put her in it when you can't watch her. When you take her out of the crate, bring her out to potty immediately. When she's not in the crate you may need to take her out every 15 minutes (just like potty training a child!) Take her out the same door every time and put her in the same spot to go potty. Also with the crate make sure she only has enough room to lie down and stand comfortably. Don't give her too much room cause she'll poo in the corners. They have crates that you can section off so you can give her more room as she grows.

I don't agree with teaching her to go on pads inside....you're just teaching her it's okay to go in the house with that method.

You shouldn't spank or rub her nose in it either. She's a baby. Would you do that to a child?
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:58 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• We got our puppy last year and used the crate. We took her outside often and used the same words each time. We say lets go potty and she still responds to that. We also left her leash on the door knob of the door we use to take her outside. After a week or so she would go over to the door and sit there. That was her way of saying I need to go. We always take her out right after she eats and she does not go come back in and go out again about 10 minutes later. 2nd time usually works. While we are not home we put her in her crate. It takes alot patiences. Please do not spank her. Say a firm NO the dog will get the picture that way.
    ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 1:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• the last dog i had was a chi, and she was litter trained. lol.
    don't ever puppy pad train it! when it gets older in general dogs will use throw rugs b/c they look like pads to them.
    spanking doesn't work, b/c it makes them scared of you and hands. and that can lead to nipping of strangers.
    when i had my brother pit here, 8 weeks old, i would take her out every half hour on the dot. she always went outside. and that helped when she went to her new home b/c she was potty trained with in a few weeks.
    the crate thing works to, but you have to let her out before she goes in it. sometimes that hard, but most dogs don't like to sit in there soil, but i've dogs who didn't give a hoot! lol so i have no suggestions on the crate things.
    with all my dogs i just took them out all the time, and find their currency, treats, toys, ect. when they go potty outside they get what they want.
    puppies are so cute, but a pain in the ass!!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yea, the puppy pad things just teaches them that it is OK to pee in the house, as long as it is on a rug or something that looks like the pad. We crate trained both of ours successfuly. We took them out a gazillion times a day, and praised them like crazy when they went outside.
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 5:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2011