Crib bumpers causes deaths in infants

my son is 5 months old. he likes to wiggle and beat his legs excitedly whenever he is lying down. that mostly causes him to scoot up (or sideways) and crash his head on the crib. that leads to lots of crying and fussy time. i tied bumpers in his crib very securely so they dont come off and suffocate him. but my husband doesn't agree with me. he asks me to take them off entirely because babies can press up against the bumper and get suffocated. what should i do ?? do bumpers really cause deaths ? because when i take them off, he crashes his head against the rails really hard and that obviously causes him alot of pain.
so what do you (moms of infants/babies) do ?? thanks in advance !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have whats called a "breathable bumper." You can find them at Walmart.com and sometimes in stores. I love it. The baby can't get through the rails and if they are close up too it they can still easily breathe through it. Wonderful wonderful things. They cost about $20. GL!
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 10:53 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I used a bumper with all 5 of my kids. I did make sure it was secure against the crib. The length of the ties was once an issue (with strangulation), if you have a newer set they have the shorter ties to prevent that chance. Once they can roll over (at 5 months if he hasn't, he should be close), the chance of them suffocating is reduced tremendously.

Answer by missanc at 10:58 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I never took the bumpers off for the same reasons as you listed with bumps & bruises. Unless the infant cannot roll over and gets their face stuck against the bumper & cannot move independently then there would be a problem. But it sounds like your Son is as active as mine was & they can move their bodies & heads at will if they are not comfortable. My Son is now 4 & we just moved him into a big boy bed and like I said I never removed the bumper. Just make sure it's securely attached and cannot fall over his head where he could get twisted in it obviously. Just be careful of blankets, I used sleep sacks.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:11 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• They can. I removed the bumper once my babies became mobile.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:52 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I had bumpers for my first born and she did fine. I think people are just panicky sometimes.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:13 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I used bumpers until my kids started trying to take them off and play with them...still going strong.
    faithnseansmama

Answer by faithnseansmama at 11:31 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would use a mesh bumper, but that doesn't really prevent him from crashing his head into the bars. I wouldn't use a regular bumper, though.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I used a regular bumper with baby #1 before they advised against it. With baby #2 they were advising against it so I left it off until dd was a year old and out of the SIDS risk. She didn't bang her head into the rails but about 100 times each night it was inevitable that she would drop her paci through the rails. When she got a little bigger she got her arms and legs stuck in there very brieftly....that's when we started putting the bumper on. It sure was cute being able to see her at night as dh and I were in bed we could see her in her crib.

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2011