Are frozen or fresh berries and fruits typically cheaper?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 11:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Depends on the fruit and the season. At our store on sale, a bag of frozen fruit is like $4. But this week I know huge containers of blueberries are like $3 - might have double what's in one of those frozen bags.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I can get a decent sized bag of frozen strawberries or blueberries for about $1.79. So, frozen is cheaper, but I go for the stuff made in the USA so they tend to be a little more expensive. I'm weird like that. I always check the C.O.O.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:46 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Not always, depends on what is in season. In season fruits are usually cheaper.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:07 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• And depends on the fruit.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:07 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• You really have to watch the prices. Currently, at one store I shop at, 1 lb of fresh strawberries is $2.99 (holy expensive!), but 24oz of whole frozen strawberries is the same price (still expensive, but not as bad as fresh - and since they're whole, no added sugar). Blueberries are much cheaper frozen right now - a teeny tiny box (4 or 6 oz) of fresh is $4.99, but a 1lb bag of frozen is $3.99. I usually go to a u-pick strawberry farm every summer and pick a few boxes and freeze, and DH's aunt in Michigan does the same thing with blueberries and brings them to us, so I am able to freeze a year's worth of those 2 kinds of berries each year - for waaaaay cheaper than I could ever buy them. So look into that - or growing your own if you can - so much cheaper!
    Anonymous