Why is it so degrading for a boy to act like a girl

But it's totally fine if a girl acts like a boy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Short answer: it shouldn't be.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:12 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I know! I blew up about this last night at my parents house. my 19 months old was playing tea party with his 3 yr old sister and 5 yr old niece and my parents were saying he was going to be gay. I need to sop letting him play with girl stuff or he will be fucked up in the future. I blew up and left after that. My children can act like a girl or a boy and play with what ever they freaking want!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It would not be degrading either way to me, children are who they are and like what they like.

Answer by older at 11:14 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I just don't get why it's degrading? Are girls THAT degrading to society? Is being a girl a negative to everyone? If my son started plalying toys with my daughters I would be okay with that. My DD loves trains and airplanes and alot of things that are boy-like. My brother gives me a hard time and says, "You don't want her to grow up to be a dike." To which I said, "F*ck you! I'd rather she'd be happy with who she is and not some closet homo like you!" He didn't like that last comment. But damn it,. I don't give a damn if my daughters wanna play with trucks or if my son wants to play with dolls. Why does everything have to be micromanaged and labled?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• becasue society deems it so. But as mothers, educators, citizens, we need to voice our opinions to change societies messed up view. It is actually good for both sexes to play with all gender-quality toys. Studies have shown, for example, that little boys who play with baby dolls, have learned more compassion and care-taking, thus gowing up to be better dads. Long study, but that's the short of it. Another study, showed that girls who played with male-gendered toys, grow up thinking they can do anything and have a better self-confidence about obtaining goals. Again, long study, that's the short of it summed up. Girls & boys should be encouraged to just PLAY and discover their world in a non-biased view.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:22 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It goes back to the archaic thinking that men are stronger, smarter and just plain better than women. You have to realize that for the last few thousand years women were seen as "lesser" than men. Women were little more than property in some societies. While men were in total control of the world... Unfortunately when thinking has been as deeply ingrained as this it's a hard thing to change. It shouldn't be the way things are, and things ARE changing, just slowly.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Because it's a double standard and girls are still thought of as weak and not as good as boys. Why are cartoon characters still 90% boys? At least as far as I can tell. There is Dora, but all of her friends except Isa are boys. My husband was embarassed when my son wore my daughter's princess dress up clothes, I took a picture and put it on Facebook. I'm sure my husband would think it was cute if my daughter put on my son's Spiderman costume. I think when people really think about it they see how silly it is, but normally they just don't think about it. It can be frustrating to think about though since you can't really change it, like the cartoon character thing. That's bothered me for years. It's one thing that the old cartoons are mostly boys, but even the new ones are now and that's not acceptable. But what can you do?
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:43 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Because of gender. Men are suppose to be superior. To act feminine is to be inferior. Ergo, being a feminine man is wrong in our society.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• eh honestly i don't care about playing stuff like having a tea party or doing girl things but when it comes to clothes and dressing as either gender that's where i have a problem i have nothing wrong with gays or lesbians but i wouldn't let my young child be dressed as the opposite sex
    angela.bouchard

Answer by angela.bouchard at 8:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Why Angela?
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2011