This may be a stupid question, but I need help figuring out what "big" stuff we need for baby.

And by "big" I mean more expensive. We are putting aside a chunck of tax return money for baby stuff (I'm only 7 weeks, and want to wait until we know baby's sex). But I want to know how much to put aside. (And I know we don't NEED all of these things, but we have decided we would like to get all of them). The day-to-day stuff, like clothes, recieving blankets, bottles, we are not including in our list - we'll gradually get those throughout the pregnancy.

Here's what I have, please let me know if I am missing anything!
Crib
Travel system
Play yard (includes a bassinet, so we don't need a bassinet)
Swing
Highchair
Breast pump
Bedding
Baby wrap (Moby/Sleepytime, etc)
Cloth diapers (IF we chose to cloth - we're not sure yet).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I see you have breast pump, so I am assuming your breast feeding so I would add a Boppy pillow to the list. It's not something you absolutely have to have, but it makes breast feeding 100x easier. : ) Congrat's!
    Brittany1286

Answer by Brittany1286 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Looks like you have it covered! I would add a dresser as well. Changing tables really aren't necessary, but they make some that function as a dresser too; just an idea. (I used a pad on top of a low dresser for my DS, it worked really well.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:18 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• we never used the changing pad that we bought. no point when the bed is more comfortable lol. seems like oyu got it covered. i commend you for thinking about using cloth diapers cuz i dont have the will power to deal with it lol. baby wipes! i'd start saving for formula too.
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 11:22 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Bouncer, Exersaucer/Jumparoo
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:39 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Bumbo and Boopy.... neither are huge items but were a great help to me!!
    CristinaC1014

Answer by CristinaC1014 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Looks like a pretty good list.
    I just want to say one thing: DON'T spend a fortune on bedding. I worked at Babies R Us, and we had some EXPENSIVE bedding sets there - we're talkin' like $300+ for a five- or six-piece set. If you're set on nice bedding, go for a nice quilt and get the rest of it cheaper - like plain colored sheets that'll cost half the amount of the nice stuff. Bedding can and will get messy, and you don't want to end up having to get rid of something you spent a ton of money on!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• "NEED" ?

You only need the car seat if you have a car.

Blankets and clothes are good-- and a carrier.

Most everything else, even diapers (any kind) are optional.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Oh we already have a dresser and changing pad that we used with our DD!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Right, no formula - we're BFing. Boppy is a good one. And we still have a rocking chair from DD as well - that is another good one for nursing.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• How about a moses basket? I used it for my Son in the afternoon for naps in the den. I would also buy two pack n plays, one for upstairs & one for downstairs.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2011