About adoption papers...

I see a lot of people asking about their birth parents and looking for them. With my boys (they were step-parent adoptions) their other parents full name was on the adoption papers and on their BCs it lists the hospital they were born in. Is that like that for all adoptions? With that information (BP name and adoptees place of birth) wouldn't it be easy to find the BPs? No bashing, I am just asking.

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 11:20 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Adoption

• Depending on how much info the Adult Adoptee has the search can be easy, or it can seem near impossible. I know some have been searching unsuccessfully for years, and for some it took a couple of hours on the internet. People separated by adoption ARE finding each other and reuniting without having birth records.

But, reunion isn't the issue, equal access to birth records is a human rights issue. Adopted US citizens are not given the basic right to have a document that all other non adopted US citizens can have. It's plain discrimination.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• That's because they wer step-parent adoptions.
    In the majority of adoption, the persons first parents are legally completely erased, and they are never allowed to find out.

The BC are re-issued, with the adoptive parents listed. A large time delay has caused some adoptees many issues with gaining passports.

Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 11:24 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• When we adopted our grandkids their birth certificates were reissued. It has the names place day and time of where they were actually born...but lists me as their Mother and my husband as theiir father.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:22 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• But, I am talking about the adoption papers from the court. The court order.
    matthewscandi

Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• The court order (Decree Granting Adoption of Child) doesn't list ANY info on his birth parents, but it lists the case # for the hearing that terminated their parental rights. It does list his given birth name and the name change including his new last name. This was a foster care adoption, not sure of DIA.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• In our decree it lists their birth names, bio parents and then us. Everyone is listed BUT..our is not a 'closed' adoption. First because their bio father is our son. Also because my GD was old enough to know her name and her 'parents' Perhaps it is different when it isn't closed. Although a gf from high school had an adoption decree that listed her only as 'baby Allison" no last name, no birth parents names.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Ok, I was just wondering. Thanks to all that answered.
    matthewscandi

Comment by matthewscandi (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2011