Jumping on the Gifted bandwagon... What is the issue?

From reading some of the responses to the questions it seems like there is a lot of negative comments about gifted children.  I am not sure if its referencing the posters themselves or not so...

Whats the issue?

The way you feel about gifted children in general?

Or do you have issues just with certain people and their gifted children?

Charis76

Asked by Charis76 at 11:26 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Good question! I took the gifted classes through elementary and middle school and loved it. I can't tell you how upset I was to see the program thrown out so our local public schools could redirect the funding to the ESL program. It seems like "gifted" has become a bad word, used to describe the kids who already have too much and are not deserving of more. That is so not the case, for me the gifted program was a creative outlet - accelerated classes just meant more work, the gifted program meant more real learning.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• People don't like the fact that some people are more intelligent, more artistic, better at languages than they are.

These 'gifted' people have to have a downside apparently, if you're intelligent you cannot be beautiful, if you are intelligent you obviously can't socialise well, or function normally in society.....

Most people just dont like the fact that some people are just better at a lot of things, and they must find a ways to justify it in their minds.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 11:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I have no problem with the child. My problem is the parent who brags. Not all parents brag, but the ones who do make the others look bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• To be honest, I think the issue comes down to jealousy at it's best. It seems to me that the issue comes out of the way people wish their children were rather than how they see the gifted child. Rather than being able to be happy for others, there is a level of resentment there that simply shouldn't be. Personally, I come from a family where "gifted" children were kinda the norm, and I have a learning disability, so I learned early on that we aren't all equal but that we all have our own gifts.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:35 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Anon : So people who's children are gifted should be quiet and not be proud of their children because their children are performing better?
    One child's success does not diminish the other chidren. There's nothing wrong with bragging about your children, unless it's excessive of couse lol....

Why shouldn't they be proud?
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 11:38 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Huge difference between bragging and being proud.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I do think some of it is exasperation with people who insist a child is gifted because they made a sound that sounded kind of like the word dog months before they're "supposed" to talk. It's unfortunate when that attitude carries over to children who are tested and routed into programs based on their aptitude, whether it's a child who is taking advanced level violin lessons, qualifying for an older sports team years early, or academically off the charts. Why should the child be punished because of someone else's ego? Why should their parents have to live in a closet where they aren't allowed to mention anything their child ever does, good or bad, lest it be interpreted as "bragging"?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I missed the other question, but what were the negative comments? I am a parent of a gifted child who is 13, it's not bragging to call him gifted, it is nice to talk about it, because it has a lot of good things, but it has also had it's challenges.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It's sad that in our society, it's becoming bad to single out achievement and praise it because we might "make someone else feel bad". I see the schools going down that path and it frustrates me. Our grading system changed cause everyone knew "F" was "Failing" and now we have gone to politically correct number grading. The school gives out "participation awards" for competitions instead of giving it to the winners..
    Achievement is NOT bad. We as a country need to cheer for the achievers-they make this country great!
    bookmommy

Answer by bookmommy at 12:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2011