High functioning Autism?

My second child, Gabe, has had a very significant speech delay. When he was two we had hearing tested, and he was placed into speech therapy. Now at age 5, his speech is still very delayed. We just moved and he is now with a new school speech therapist. He has other delays, but they are most likey directly linked to his speech.. He is a very intelegant little boy, very loving, social, and expressive. He has had 3 peds, and all have said, they don't know why he would be so delayed, but that he does not send up the "autism flag" as one ped put it. With his last speech evaluation he was given the same test that they gave over a year ago. He remebered the test... word for word. She asked the first question, and not only did he know the test answer, but he also could tell her what the next question was. We have allways known that he has a excellent visual memory, for instance, give him a puzzle and let him look a the picture for a min, then take the picture away and just leave the peices, and he can place the peices where they belong without the picture referance. He does't look for the outer peices and work inward like most kids, he pics up a peice looks at it, and lays it in front on him like he was just matching it to the picture.

His speech therapist said that in all her years, she has never seen a child with such visual memory skills. And that while its a cool skill, the extreme highs in some skills, while sever lows in others indicates to her that he may be high functioning autism. We will take her recommendation to his ped... once we find a new one. But I am lost. I just don't know what to think. Will his speech improve, will this always be a struggle for him? To be honest, I don't think him being diagnosed with autism would bother me... but its his speech that worries me. Will he ever be able to communicate. He plays well with his peers, but he tries so hard to communicate with them, and they can't understand most of what he says. It breaks my heart to hear him say things like "I'm sad, no one likes me" (course its not as clear as that). And everyone loves him, when I take him to school, all his class mates are always wanting to get his attention and say hello... he even has this cute little girl that gives him a hug every morning.

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 11:27 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have you seen Temple Grandin the movie with Claire Danes? You should watch it. It's really good! I love it!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 11:30 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• nope, but I will search netflix for it tonight!!
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• i bumped you. I'm not quite down that road but my son is almost 3 and still says very little and prefers the jibberish. He sees a ST twice a week (though she often calls out a lot) and soon we will register for either head start or a similar local program. His ped. recommended he get a psychological evaluation but the ST recommended we just wait till he's in school since he could get evaluated there. DS is also VERY social and according to the ST he can do puzzles the 4 year olds she works with cannot do. He can count to 10, he sings the alphabet song (he hasnt mastered all the letters yet but it's still cute hearing him sing it lol), he can verbally communicate basic needs but it's hard to carry on a normal conversation with him.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:37 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• lol sorry, "often calls out alot" thats funny.
    Owl_Feather

• Owl_feather, that sounds very much like my son. Its very frustrating. Part of me does not want him to be diagnosed with anything because I am afraid of him being labeled. I want people to see Gabe. So often when a child has a diagnosis, it seems as if no one can see past that label, and those children loose their identity to it.
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• ~*OMG*~... I am dealing with this concerning my three year old!!! He is pretty bright, but half the time we do not understand what he is saying!!! I have him in with a speech therapist, nothing yet, she now out because of a family emergency... but I am at wits end!!! We have him doing the JumpStart programs on his computer (the three year old), his Leapster Exporer, and various things... even did flash cards with him... and he even love the starfall.com

If you learn anything else let me know.. or maybe if there is even a group on here... I am not going to lable my son, and praying like crazy it is just his speech! I mean if they can take a child with dislexia that sees a "b" and "d" the same and fix it.... fix my son's speech? I had his hearing tested praying he just needed tubes like my youngest brother, and like my husband's youngest brother... and it broke my heart that "he" is the problem and not his ears...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My three year old has such empathy towards other... he has litterally refused to get a happy meal because his 5 year old brother wasn't there to get one too... he always even at a young age places other's needs above his own... he refused mommy time at chuck E Cheese because it was selfishly just for him
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• so true OP! Not exact words, but the ped pretty much said "We want your son to get a psychological evaluation to see what is wrong with him". What "wrong" with him? He's barely 3. No he cant recite war and peace but my goodness. And at the speech therapy evaluation at 18 months old their pens were busy checking off the red flag list. We were only there an hour, he was tired, new environment, total strangers, overstimulation of toys...of course he won't be "all there". the ST did the same tests at home and he passed everything with flying colors. Yes the medical field knows what they are doing but even they are quick to judge. I try not to be so defensive
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• awww mommyclark! My son is empathetic too. If a child falls at the playground he is the first to the scene. And to think the ST was concerned because he laughed whenever she role played an action figure getting hurt. He laughs at americans funniest home videos and all too, but he seems to understand the difference between a funny video, silly toy playing and real life
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• btw there is a speech delay group on here. Not very active but very supportive
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2011