What can I do? Privacy violated.

Okay I just made a post about someone finding out I was seeing the same doctor as her because the clinic left the list of patients names on the computer in the exam room. This person is my stepsons mom. Well she id due anytime now and now that she saw my name she asked me last night if I was a patient saying she saw my name on the computer at the clinic.
Well.... My MIL just called me and asked why I was seeing a baby doctor. I guess my stepsons mom called my MIL and told her. Now I get a call from my MIL freaking out saying I cheated on my husband and that the baby I have isn't is and she will make sue I am brought down and my kids are taken away.
First of I am NOT pregnant and this doctor is a OB Gyn she sees other then pregnant women. Now my MIL has a big mouth and I know for sure she is just calling every single person in my husbands family about this. Now I have to deal with all this f'ing drama and tell her the real reason why I am seeing this doctor even though it isn't her freaking business. Even the reason I am seeing her will freaking her her out because she wants more grandbabies.
What can I do? This office has screwed up my life and created drama.
I called and the office manager is out and when I explained why I wanted to talk to her they acted like I was the nut and it was no big deal to let other patients know who else sees their doctor.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Health

• Call the state medical board
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:40 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It's a huge violation of the HIPPA law. They should be falling all over themselves trying to make you happy, IMO. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Privacy Act refers to your medical files/conditions/etc... Not the sign in sheet at the Dr office.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It isn't the sign in sheet. I haven't seen her in over a month so even she saw my name there would be a new sign in sheet. I was the lis of names and their files. inside the exam room.

Hrmmmmmm.. Then yea, I would call the medical boards... Sit down, write a thorough account of what happened. Certify mail a copy to the Dr and the Med boards. Possibly discuss with a lawyer..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Sorry wrong catagory! opps

Click edit on your question and it will still let you change the category if you want it elsewhere.

As for your question - gray area - but it sounds like they violated your privacy if they left anything pertaining to your file lying around. At least call the medical board and ask them. In the meantime, whatever the reason is your MIL would think you've been messing around - is it possible to do an end run with the family before they get her version?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Oh I wish. But she has already destroyed my rep with my husbands side.

Take a pregnancy test, take a pic of it sitting on the current day's newspaper showing the date, and mail them all a copy ;)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:56 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Sounds like she needs a cut off if you haven't already done it. I wouldn't take lightly to someone threatening to have my children taken away from me for something she wishes were true. Kids get removed from their house due to abuse or neglect. Not for unsubstantiated claims of infidelity (and not even for substantiated claims). I wouldn't allow her around my kids. She sound vile.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:58 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• That is a HIPPA violation
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• SLANDER... keep all records, insist on emails only??? And sue the F*^% out of them both?!?! If you can prove they are wrong, to give up details, and please contact your doctor and explain what happened, how it could be an innocent mistake, but this due to the lack of privacy in THEIR office has stirred up this kind of drama!!! They are legally responsable for the breech!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:42 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It's just a name it could be that there was another person with that name. It is just not something that works bother me. And if she is an gyn as well then it its not proof that you are pregnant. I don't know I just think the whole thing was blown out of proportion.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:42 AM on Feb. 4, 2011