How much do you tip your hairstylist? Do you also tip the hair washer?

I never know what to tip hairstylists. I've been giving about 10% to stylist and $2 to hair washer. Is it too much or not enough?

robinkane

Asked by robinkane at 11:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• Depending on many things, somewhere between 3-10 dollars.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Mt stylist is my hair washer too, and since she is so cheap I always give her$5-$10 depending on what I have done.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:44 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• my hairstylist is the washer too. i tip 20%. she's worth it, and being one of her best customers means i get in sooner (her wiat list is months out, and i get in the week or following week when i call), she does a fabulous job! She's in high demand, so i want to treat her just as well as she treats her clients! i think 10% to washeris fine, but definately the hair stylist should recieve more.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:47 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I give a 15-20% tip to my stylist, who also does my washing and coloring and waxing.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I had never heard of tipping the hairstylist until I read a similar question a few days back. So I never have. Of course I haven't been in a salon for nearly 10 years either... But I would think 10% is about right. As for the washer I don't know, isn't it the same lady? Every time I've ever been to a salon it's always the same person that washes that cuts... I wouldn't tip twice.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:44 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• haha, MY not MT...shesh!
    how_reb

• My husband and three son's get their hair cut... I'd be bald if I allowed them to hack at mine... Hahahah

Hubby's hair usually costs $15, and all three boys are $12 each... and we tip $3 per person
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I usually tip around 18%. I don't tip the hair washer just the stylist. I think it's the stylists job to take care of the hair washer if they don't want to do the washing.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:49 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Usually around 10 dollars. Oh and my stylist also washes my hair
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:51 AM on Feb. 4, 2011