Was I wrong? UPDATE at bottom

I have a friend ( well I guess I can't call her that anymore) who is a little bit older than me and has grown and teenaged children. We've known each other for YEARS but the last couple have years have been rather shaky. I've had problems with her son bullying my oldest son, and when I confronted her about it, she made excuses about it. She is also the kind of person who things she is the "perfect" mother and her children are perfect as well, never making any mistakes and walking around with halos on their heads.

Anyway, the other night at church I was teasing one of her daughters, who is 18, about the guy she likes,and trying to figure out who it is. This kind of thing is NOT NEW!!! I've ALWAYS joked back and forth with her, about these kind of things, as well as joked back and forth with the other members of the family. This morning, I got a nasty email from her mother, my "friend" telling me how much I hurt "B"'s feelings and to leave her alone about her relationships. First of all, like I said, this isn't the first time I've ever teased her. Second, I would think that at 18 years old, she would be mature enough to come to me HERSELF and tell me that she didn't want me teasing her about that anymore. I would be fine with that. What ticks me off is that her mother reamed me out, like she has NEVER EVER said ANYTHING negative to me OR my kids, or ABOUT my kids. I could give you a long list of the things she has said that ticked me off. I told her I didn't mean to hurt her daughter, and BELIEVE ME it wont' happen again ( I don't plan on speaking to any of them). What riles me up is that she is being so hypocritical. Was I wrong in this mess?

UPDATE Since I go to church with this person, and being around her will be awkward, I decided to try and smooth things over. I apologized to her for reacting in anger but made sure she understood WHY I was angry. She insulted me,by essentially caling me a junior high girl. She could have approached this in a different manner, but she didn't. THAT'S why I went on the defensive. It's up to her now to accept my apology or not. I know I did the right thing and can sleep tonight.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• Let me also add, that I know some things about her "perfect" children but have never told her. Let's just say their halos are a little crooked!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Feb. 4, 2011

• i dont think you were wrong you werent trying to hurt her ad you apologized. i wouldnt bother with them anymore it's unnecessary drama
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I just got another nasty email from her. For right now, I'm just not going to respond. I'm going to go to Curves and exercise.

The problem is, I have to see them all the time at church, so it's not like I can avoid them totally.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Time for new friends. Just ignore the emails and others that will follow. Be cordial in public but withdraw from the friendship. You don't need this.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 3:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2011