What is the right age for teens and preteen to be on any social network

tinamarie1972

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Whatever age you feel is appropriate. I got my daughter a FB page at 11, she talks to her cousin on that. I also have full acesse to her page and I get to decide who she allows to friend her or not
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Facebook's "legal" age is 13. My son will be 13 in May but has had his own profile for about 5 months. He was one of the last in his class to get one.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I'd prefer never, but I'm thinking maybe at 16 or 17 so we'll have a year or two to monitor it and help them learn safety protocol before they are on their own.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• there is no "right age", it depends on you and your child. my parents never let us have those things (before facebook, it was myspace) even as teenagers b/c they were paranoid. but we had them anyway- so i think it's important to be open with your children and have access to it. personally there's so much junk on there (i see it especially on my 14yr old sister's fb)- like gossip and whatnot, that unless they have relatives/friends in other states i don't see the point of having one at a young age. like i said though, depends on the kid(s).

when my daughter is older and wants one, i'll be sure that not only is all of her information private (so pedophiles can't just look her up by age/area), but i'll want access to it. that's just me.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I might add that my daughter is 14 and in high school, and she does not have a Facebook profile. She could be the only one in her class without one, but that doesn't change my opinion.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• There isn't one. When they are at a maturity level that they understand the pros and cons, the dangers and benefits and they can be trusted to use some good old fashioned common sense - THEN are they ready to make friends online. I don't care if they are 7, 17 or 47... If they are going to sneak out in the middle of the night to meet someone in a park, they aren't ready. If however they are at a point where they can be trusted to make the right choices or come to you in case of "weird" activity then I don't see a reason not to let them. It's up to the parents to teach and reinforce internet etiquette as well as teach the possible dangers. I was 11 or so when I opened my first account with Yahoo Groups, which was all there was back then, and if my kids wanted one that early, I doubt I would take issue, because I know we teach this stuff and I trust my kids.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My son is turning 13 in a few weeks and has had a FB account since this summer. He made friends with a couple of seniors last year and it's a way for him to keep in contact with them and his cousins (who live overseas.) DD is 11 and begging me for a FB page. I do think she is one of the last in her class to not have one.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My oldest son is 12 and still doesn't have one. I trust him, just not everything else that comes along with Fb. He has been asking for a while, just haven't given in yet.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2011