"Oh My God!"

I've heard quite a few people get upset or offended when people say this. Now, I have two questions, First, why get upset? Whats the big deal? And Secondly, is it still as upsetting if the person using this term is of a different faith (and therefore has a "different" God?)

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I don't get upset, it is no big deal to me.

Answer by older at 12:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I dont get it either, I dont feel it falls under the category of taking the lords name in vain. My uncle is a pastor and he doesnt really see a problem with it either, though now and then he may say something silly like "your god? well he's my god too" lol. I dont think it matters by what god they believe in personally either.
    jade_Aidan

Answer by jade_Aidan at 12:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Meh, people will get upset at anything and everything. I try to be as respectfull to other people as possible. But at the same time I'm not responsible for someone elses perspectives, and if they choose to be offended then that is their choice
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I get so annoyed when someone says "Don't use the lords name in vein". I just want to scream in their face "OMG, OMG, OMG" Its so annoying....I use it all the time. I people have asked me not to & i tell them "I will try not to, but i don't find it offensive so it's going to be hard".
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I remember a pastor who was teaching my Sunday School class telling us that we shouldn't ever use anything even close to "god" or "Jesus" in exclamations or oaths. He said we shouldn't say "jeez" or "gosh" or even "golly", because they are too close to "using the Lord's name in vain". Oh--he also said we shouldn't say "dang it!" or even worse. . . "gosh darn it" because the implication is there. In "dang" and "darn" his concern was that the words were intended to be substitutes for "damn", which is something that he believed that only God could do--so by uttering those words, you were usurping his authority. . . or something like that.. Yup. It's true. That's why I like the word "shit". No one can take religious issue with that word.

Just kidding.  I actually think "shit" is kind of gross, when I really think about it. . .

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I am not religious, not quite Atheist, but still, not religious. It does not upset me in the slightest if that term is used, however, I do teach my children to say "gosh" or "pickles" or whatever silly word to substitute. If it offends people, I personally don't think it is appropriate to teach my kids to say it.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My grandma used to get really mad about that because of the whole Lord's name in vain thing. It doesn't really upset me. Since people say it so much,it doesn't even stand out lol
    I don't say it though, not because of religious reasons, but because it sounds a bit immature to me(no offense to those who like to say it).
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 1:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I don't say it, but I don't upset if others do.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It doesn't upset me although it's something I don't do myself because I do feel that it is taking God's name in vain. I don't think you should say the name of God unless you are talking about him or to him. JMO
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 1:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It doesn't bother me that much, but it used to bother an friend of mine so much, I don't say it anymore. Instead, I take George's name in vain. (sorry George).
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2011