no more presents?

Would you continue to get gifts (ie toys/games) for your kids on their birthdays and Christmas if they continually showed they had no regard for the stuff, threw it on the floor, broke it, lost it and/or refused to keep their things picked up?

Every time my kids get new things (like at Christmas or their birthdays) those new things end up lost, broken or confiscated within 2 weeks...almost always never to be seen again since they have to earn them back and never do. It seems like an awfully big waste of money.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 12:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would still get them gifts but maybe not toys. Saving bonds, money in a savings account for when they are older they might not like it now but when they are older they will.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• One year I only got them books. I tend not to pack the books up so that they have something to do when the toys are all gone.
    Not that they appreciate the books any more than the toys. But maybe I'll go back to getting them just books for birthdays.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I feel the same way and now all of their birthdays are coming and I don't want anyone to buy them anything! It's terrible to feel that way but I just don't want anyone spending money that just sits and collects dust in the toy pile....in every room....ugh.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 1:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My dd went through that stage. I decided to start showing her how many people dont have money for gifts. I took her to toys r us and showed her toys for tots, the salvation army and showed her how you donate coats, hats, clothes, food and toys. Now twice a year we go through her stuff to donate, we choose atleast 3 toys to donate to toys for tots and she appreciates alot more! You could also try what my friends parents did to her..Jesus only got three gifts for christmas.. why should anyone else get more? She really enjoyed her three gifts!
    jade_Aidan

Answer by jade_Aidan at 1:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would limit the number of gifts I purchased and take into account each time I had to take away gifts. For example - if I bought 10 but they only took care of 5, next time around they would get 5.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I say the book idea. no toys, DS games etc. Just 1 or 2 books. Or maybe clothing? Basic necessities.

mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 2:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Nope! Sounds cold, but if my child doesn't appreciate what she is given then she doesn't deserve to have anything.
    cecyh9

Answer by cecyh9 at 1:56 AM on Feb. 16, 2011