• In the Spotlight:

Fever and legs hurting?

My 3 year old has had a fever since last night. Every couple of hours he would wake up and start crying about his legs hurting, he's still saying it this morning.. He was sleeping all over the bed last night so I don't think it was from that. My brother said he might be dehydrated. Can you get leg cramps from that?

angiemgiu

Asked by angiemgiu at 9:36 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in General Parenting

• The flu causes body aches
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Yes, dehydration is basically an electrolyte imbalance. You can have cramps. If your son is running a fever and hurting I would call your Ped just for peace of mind. If he's dehydrated and cramping then he might need fluids. Small children can get themselves into a bad situation really quick when they are sick.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:34 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• yes dehydration compined with a fever can cause muscle aches. Fevers caus a build up of lactic acid. Try giving him some bananas, and some pedialight of gatorade. Even chicken broth will help.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Where on his legs? I know when I was young (like 4-8yrs) I had really bad growing pains in my shins. I never had a fever with it though, but it's not uncommon in young children.
    Anonymous

• I just wanted to echo anon 12:29's thought. I totally spaced that. My oldest growing pains and will get a slight fever with them. Warm baths with epsom salt, and some tylonal seem to be the only thing that helps...he grows fast.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Yes you can . The best thing for cramps is bananas. They have potassium in them and potassium will help stop leg cramps.
    41andholdin

Answer by 41andholdin at 3:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• yep sounds like dehydration - when my son would go through this, I would give cold propel, berry flavor was my sons favorite- in moderation because it is loaded with electrolytes and does artificial sweeteners, however it does help with the legs cramps and fever - also, water is the best for growing pains - water helps to hydrate the muscles and ligaments so they will be more willing to flex quickly with growing -

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 4:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• You can get cramps from not enough water..........BUT....he could have GROWING PAINS...my son has them, and I have to massage his little legs....Give him plenty of water, and some tylenoland crackers.(tylenol w/o food can burn their little tummies) Good luck.. hope he's okay! SMART water, has added electrolyes, w/o the groodie ass taste of pedilyte, TRY some SMART WATER, you can get it at the grocery store or convieniece store at least here in Austin you can.
    dylans_mom

Answer by dylans_mom at 4:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2008