Bottle feeding with expressed breast milk

If my husband warms up a bottle of expressed breast milk and my son only takes about a half an ounce (wasn't hungry, was fussing for other reason), how long can the bottle sit there so my husband can continue to offer it, or should it just be thrown out? I know fresh breastmilk can sit at room temp in a storage container for 4-10 hours, in the fridge for 3-8 days and in the freezer for 3-4 months. And I know a bottle that has been drank shouldnt be refridgerated, but I can't find anywhere how long a feeding can last (how long the bottle can sit out after being partially drank, and can continue to be offered).

lexirae

Asked by lexirae at 9:37 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 45 mins up to an hour
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• What do you mean by warmed up?

Wow we have heard way different things!!! I was told that breastmilk could stay in the fridge or at room temperature for 24 hours and then needed to dumped...so with this knowledge when I put the milk in the fridge I would take it out and let it get to room temperature alone and give my son the milk like this. Then as long as it didnt go over the limit 24 hours I would continue to use it (of course as long as it hadnt have gone over say like four or five hours..after that time i would have probably dumepd it).

If you mean warming it up by heating it yourself id pretty much dump it straight after a feed. I would never do that though....so yeah!
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:32 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• They say no longer then an hour.
    mommy20507

Answer by mommy20507 at 2:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I've heard no longer then an hour!
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Well I was told that BM should not be in the fridge for more than 48 hrs (i never left it in htere for longer than 24 and i froze it). Once they eat out of the bottle it can be left out for 2-4 hours, but never reheated.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 11:37 AM on Nov. 17, 2008