Pagen, Wiccan, moms, Yule?

First I am Christian, so i need some insight from you mommies. I want to make my sister in law a yule gift. She celebrates yule and the winter solctice, and this year she was saying that she wishes she had something similar to a yule log, like something where she could light a candle each day in observance of yule. I really want to make her something. Btu I don't know what to incorporate. I was thinking a large round piece of wood and wood burning the pentagram into it, along with the twelve zodiac signs and the different "which seasons" as I have heard her say. I also want to place stones into the pentagram, but need some guidance on this. I plan on drilling 12 holes to hold 12 candles so that she can light one and let it burn each day.

Or does all that just sound silly!! Need help!!

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 1:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• That sounds really cool!!!

Would Love to see pictures when you're done!

IMO, the Zodiac signs might be a bit much.

But go for it!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• That sounds amazing! It's really sweet that you are supportive of her like this!

You may want to ask if she follows a particular tradition. In the Pentagram each point represents an element. Depending on tradition the points can correlate to different elements.

I'm really interested in your project though and if you need any help feel free to message me!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Sounds awesome to me! But like MamaK said, I would skip the Zodiac, unless she is REALLY in to Astrology they don't have a huge huge meaning for most of us. There is more emphasis put on the elements than anything... I would say do something like THIS - but include the Pentacle and make a point to incorporate things which will represent each element...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Do you have any advice as far as understanding the elements? is it just the color of the stone, or is there specific types of stones or gems for each element?
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Ive never heard of yule
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 3:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Here, this should help you a little. It's got some color representations as well as basic ideas for items you could include.

http://www.religionfacts.com/neopaganism/charts/wiccan_five_elements.htm

You can also just be creative. If this were mine I would use items rather than colors. With a pentacle in the center I would add smooth stones & large sea salts around the base to symbolize Earth & Water, Feathers to symbolize air, of course the flames of the candle could be used for Fire.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Since she's Wiccan and not Heathen, it may not be that important to her, but my one suggestion would be to use ash wood for your base - that's the traditional description of Yggdrasil, which is the predecessor of the Yule log. It may be a little harder to work with, but it would also be more likely to last and be handed down.

Another idea might be something like this:

http://goddesshobbies.blogspot.com/2009/12/handcrafted-holiday-yule-log-candle.html and you could work the pentagrams into the ends.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I was wondering why you decided to go with 12 candles.. personally if I was making it I would go with 13 candles... one to represent each moon cycle in a year.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 7:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• WOW! That is super supportive of you! :)

I agree, I would skip the zodiac, unless you KNOW she is super in to that. Everyone has really good suggestions. Make sure you post pictures when you've finished. :)
    BlissAglow

Answer by BlissAglow at 7:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Thanks for the suggestions. I love the ash Idea... not sure If I can find any here, but I have all summer and fall to figure it out. And she is way into zodiac signs, so that is why I would like to add them, but I think I will start with just the basics and add on as I go. I would like to do 12 candles for the 12 days of Yule.

Are there any specific candles you ladies recomend? And does anyone know what the which seasons are?
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2011