So I've decided to not eat or feed my family anymore meat or processed foods. But I don't know exactly what to buy for groceries. Help please.

My pantry is starting to look bare as we go through the rest of the boxed processed foods. What do mom's who eat this way typically buy when grocery shopping?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• congratulations to you!!

You need to plan meal, and base your grocery list on your meals and snacks for the week. Build meals around vegetables, whole grains, legumes and fruit.

I have a ton of recipes that are simple, healthy, tasty, family and budget friendly; send me a message if you would like some!

Answer by rkoloms at 2:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Real meat. Ingredients, rather than pre-made/convenience food - whole wheat flour, oats, things like that so I can bake (I do use regular sugar). Whole fresh fruits/veggies, or frozen veggies, rather than canned or frozen meals. Now I'm not perfect - we eat boxed cereals, and I use some canned soups (cream of whatever), but I mainly cook from scratch.
    Anonymous

• Not all canned foods have additives. I practically live off of no sodium added tomatoes and canned beans. Other than that, dried is your other option.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Another way to do it - check the ingredients list. If there's anything in it you can't pronounce, or don't know what it is, don't buy it. If there's more than a very short list of ingredients, don't buy it. Ideally, your stuff either won't have a list because it's fresh, or it'll have just a couple of things.
    Anonymous

• You need to look for things that say Whole, avoid bleached. Emeril has a great show thats all about whole foods, he films it at the whole foods markets. You can get some great recipes online if you look for things from scratch. Go to your health food section in your supermarket. Basically Ive heard alot of people say just avoid the middle aisles of the grocery store, shop along the outsides for fresh healthy ingredients. Before completely giving up meat too, you should really talk to your doctor and pediatrician. You can get alot of protein elsewhere, but its harder if your also giving up processed foods such as pastas!
    jade_Aidan

Answer by jade_Aidan at 1:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• What do you consider processed foods? Pasta? Rice? Canned foods?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Pretty much canned foods, and things like boxed mac and cheese. I'll still do the plain pasta and plain rice. We are cutting out things with additives.
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2011