Kids being naked?

Last night, I got my 4 yo daughter and 2 yo son ready for bed. They share the same room, but have seperate beds. I tucked them in. About 30 minutes later I heard a lot of laughter from their rooms. When I went in there, I turned on the lights and my 4 yo jumped out of my son's bed and back into hers and she was naked. I asked what was so funny, and she said that her brother took off his pull-ups. He was naked too. My initial reaction was upset! I told them both to get dressed and sent them back into their own beds and told them to keep their clothes on and go to sleep. Once I got over the upset stage, I became very concerned on where my daughter would get the idea of doing something like that. My husband and I don't share a bed anymore, so I know she didn't get the idea from us. The night before, they slept over at my father-in-law's place. Before I put them bed, my daughter mentioned how she liked sleeping in grandpa's bed which was news to me. So now I am wondering if they got this idea from over there. I dunno...is this something kids do? My husband thinks she might have gotten this idea because they take baths together. I had siblings and we took baths together, but we never under the covers naked with each other. I don't know what to do or how to perceive this situation. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd be questioning FIL about why your 2 yr old daughter is in his bed, pronto!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 1:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Sorry meant 4 yr old daughter.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 1:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I have absolutely no issue with the kids being naked together. My DD is 6 and DS 4 and they are always naked, its just normal for them. They still bathe together too. My issue, however, would be about why DD is sleeping with FIL. I'd check on that immediately.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Try talking to her first? Why did you get into bed with your brother? Why wasnt she dressed? I dont personally feel boys and girls should bathe together after toddler age, its common for them to start playing and wondering at that age. Now may be a good time to start teaching modesty when you're naked.
    jade_Aidan

Answer by jade_Aidan at 1:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would talk to the FIL and see why the 4 yr old is sleeping with him..thats odd. Otherwise i think between the siblings its just a normal phase. When my son turned 4 him and his friend (girl) were playing up stairs and when we went up there they were both naked in the bed. I was very concerned and felt like a horrilbe parent but was told by everyone that it is a normal phase. Just talk to them calmly and explain what is ok and what is not.
    mommyofone15

Answer by mommyofone15 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Personally I think it was probably very innocent. I mean you can talk with your FIL and see what is going on at his house. I have 2 boys and 1 girl and when kids are this age they become curious about the opposite sex and it is all just kids stuff.  They might not understand that there is anything wrong with it and at their ages there really isn't anything wrong with it.  Yes I would talk to them about how they should not sleep together naked, although I would not punish them or yell at them.  I think I would explain why I didn't want then doing this and I would talk to my DD about why she likes sleeping at your FIL house before I over react.

I mean if they take baths together and they are comfortable being naked around each other then it is probably more that then anything else.

That is just me! Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• start teaching them about pijamas clothes and underwear since now. I think they were just playing since their age 2-4.I have a diference kids age of 11-4 and i can see the behaivior. My 4G likes to be in pantys because we are alone . but when visit comes she dont understand the clothes thing so I talk to her and show her the diferent kinds of fashions one for school , one for church, pijamas, and shorts with light t-shirts. Talk to 4 year because she is more capable of helping you to control the situations and behaivior. Don't worry because its part of the age. Luck
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 1:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• i would see why she was sleeping with FIL. i only have one child and she tells me (we are TTC) she wants a sister first so they can share rooms she doesnt want to share rooms with a brother cuz she doesnt want her room to smell like boy. she's only five. i do think kids are curious but i would teach modesty as one PP suggested. keep an eye oh your daughter and see if her behavior changes at all. Im very protective of my daughter when it comes to a man watching her. dont care who it is except daddy of course. i just hear to many stories and would rather error on the side of caution.
    proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• talk to her calmly dont make a big deal out of it as she may not answer, and def talk to FIL
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:26 AM on Feb. 5, 2011