How old was your child when they gave up naps?

My son is almost 4, he was never much of a nightime sleeper but has been sleeping much better at night. However, naps are done. I miss nap time, but more than 6 hours a night is nice too.

jade_Aidan

Asked by jade_Aidan at 1:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My daughter was about 4 when she stopped napping. I pushed my son to stop napping by the time he was 3.5 because if he napped, he'd stay up until 11pm. I decided that nights with my husband was more important that the down time during the day. Now he goes to bed about 8pm and sleeps until 8am.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Wow 8pm to 8am? Im so jealous! Im lucky if I get 8pm to 5am without a nap and if I keep him really busy all day!
    jade_Aidan

Comment by jade_Aidan (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My 3.5-yr-old still naps for 3-4 hours most days, and he sleeps 12 hours at night. My 21-month-old naps for about 2 hours and sleeps about 11 hours at night, but still wakes up a couple of times to nurse.

I wouldn't be surprised if my older one naps until he starts school and has to stop. My mom says that's how I was.

My younger one, though, will probably be done with naps before she's 3.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Not Yet at 4 years
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 1:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• ...well, don't be so jealous, lol....he gets up in the night at least once or twice, but goes back down, sometimes in his bed, sometimes in ours =/
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My oldest was 1 1/2. My 11mo is still taking them.
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 3:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Wow such a difference. Well I guess when they decide we just have to live with it. On the bright side he's sleeping better at night than ever before. RIP naps mommy will miss you. lol
    jade_Aidan

Comment by jade_Aidan (original poster) at 6:53 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My 3.6 year-old does not taken them on weekends and she goes to sleep much easier and will sleep from 8:30 p.m. to 7:30 or 8 a.m.
    On days when she does to pre-school and they take a TWO HOUR nap -- I have a HUGE battle at betime. I am thinking on changing preschools because of that darn nap!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:12 AM on Feb. 5, 2011

• DS was around 2yo and DD(8months) takes 2-3 naps per day
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2011

• My son is 4 and still has to take a nap. Some of these answers just crack me up!!! Who's the parent? Keep in mind they still have to take naps in kindergarden moms. Don't break them of that too early or they might give their teacher a hard time when all the other kids are trying to sleep. Not to mention, sleep is good for brain development. I'm more relaxed with it on the weekends. My son also had a habbit of waking up and turning on all the lights and waking up his twin sister. Till one day I just put my foot down. I told him, "From now on, if the Sun is not awake and everyone else is still asleep, GO BACK TO BED it's not time to get up yet". And it really only took a couple of mornings of me getting up turning off all the lights, pointing out to him it's still night and putting him back in bed. I'm telling you...those extra couple of hours will make you a new woman. Your the boss! Don't give up. Let me know...
    tornadotwinsx2

Answer by tornadotwinsx2 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 6, 2011