How young is ok for an Ipod?

My soon to be 4 year old loves his sisters Ipod. He is hyper and gets bored so easy. I just bought him a mobigo and he's already sick of it. Atleast the Ipod downloads are cheaper and you can save the stuff to itunes and move it around without having to spend another $20 for 1 game.

jade_Aidan

Asked by jade_Aidan at 1:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldn't unless I thought my kid was mature enough to not destroy it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My son has both the mobigo and an iPod touch. He will be 3 next month. He plays with them about the same. I see your point about the $$. $20 for a game compared to a $0.99 app. I wish we would have looked into fisher prices new game system. I don't remember what its called, but you download the games.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• As soon as they are old enough to care for it. My 6yo has had one for a few years...it is not an Ipod but it is similar. She does fine with it.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• the fisher price one only runs on batteries, they die very fast. It has cooler things on it, but no adapter, and after replacing the batteries in under 2 hours it was back to the store! It has really bad reviews too.
    jade_Aidan

Comment by jade_Aidan (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• For an apple i pod = 6 years or more get him a mp3 water proof if the kid is 6 years or less
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 1:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My 3.5-yr-old plays with my iPod Touch when we're out and about and he needs to be occupied. My 21-month-old will start being allowed to play with one (my husband and I each have one) soon, when she starts needing the entertainment. I wouldn't get either of them their own, but that's just me and my kids.

I actually think the iPod Touch is great for kids. It's very intuitive because of the touch screen; you don't have to worry about teaching them which buttons do what and how to get things to work. But I wouldn't get one for a kid can't/won't take care of it and not throw it around or use sticky fingers or spill things on it. How old would depend on the individual child.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I won't even get my 9yo anything like that yet. I couldn't imagine something like that for a 3-4yo.
    Anonymous

• I got my 8 year old an ipod shuffle for Christmas. It was just 50 bucks. Then he has to use his money to download music.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• As soon as he is responsible enough not to drop it or bang it against something and has the attention to keep at it instead of going onto something else within minutes.
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 3:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• will he break it?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:24 AM on Feb. 5, 2011