Crib recall

My sil and bil are expecting their first. They got a crib given to them, and before setting it up, I kept telling them to make sure it wasn't recalled. She told me that a physical therapists wife gave it to her. (why that has anything to do with it, I'm not sure) well, it was recalled. It's a dropside crib. I told her about babies r us having their trade-in deals going on right now, and she told me her husband was going to try and rig the crib bc they really like it.

What do I do? I know it's not a safe crib, and I know that rigging it is only going to make it worse. But they are both so stubborn. I mean, this is my nephews safety. Do I just let it go?

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 1:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree...print off some stories about what happened to babies in drop side cribs. But, it is their final choice and not all the drop-side cribs had children injured or worse. To me, it's a risk I wouldn't take, but to each his own.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Have them call the manufacturer and get a kit to fix it. Then it should be fine.
    Anonymous

• The drop side cribs have been recalled but they are not all dangerous. We all used them for years and years. I would refuse to get rid of mine if I were having another child.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• just let it go it is their choice. They could just screw the drop side rail into the head and foot board and that would be safe.
    mommyofone15

Answer by mommyofone15 at 1:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I would go online and print off some infor about what have happened to babies when these cribs "go bad"...maybe thet will open there eyes. Maybe they just can not afford another crib right now!
    Mom2Brock

Answer by Mom2Brock at 1:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• You can't get a kit to fix this one. I think she said it's like 12 years old. I gave her my $300 breast pump and she was so concerned bc she said some were recalled and didn't want to take it before checking it out bc if it was recalled she was going to go buy a new one. Those things are not cheap. If she can drop $300 on a pump, then why not on a new crib? ( I could careless if she goes and buys a new pump, more power to her for wanting to BF and make sure her child is safe) but if it's such a big deal to her about the pump, what about the crib? She could find a nice crib at BRU and trade in the pos one and get 25% off of the new one.
    BabyBugsmama

Comment by BabyBugsmama (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• they can make to so the side doesn't drop down... just screw the rail right to the ends of the crib..... my son had a drop side and I loved it because the crib is right next to my bed (like I can reach right in) when it was time for my daughter (6 years later) they don't make them and I was sad but we just drilled new holes in the side so it is like a drop down but it doesnt move lol but we can adjust it later when we need to
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 4:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2011