Why does my son's urine smell like ammonia?

MY 2 1/2 year old son is not completely potty trained and I have noticed that during the day he will go to the potty but during the night he doesn't but by the time I wake him up in the morning his room as well as himself and clothing reeks of ammonia. His urine smells awful and it has an orange color to it. I took him to the doctor and they tested his urine and it was normal and he drinks plenty of water. He goes to bed around 8:30pm and I stop giving him fluids around 7:30. If anyone has had this similar problem please help!

shanta38134

Asked by shanta38134 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• all it is is a pee over load lol... a lot of pee together does that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• He is not drinking enough water. Might want to talk to his Doctor. Got to WEBMD. Does he drink cranberry juice? It's good for cleaning out the Kidneys and urinary tract.

Answer by louise2 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Sounds like his urine pH is unbalanced for some reason. Could be what he's eating....idk. I'd research it on the web if I were u.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 10:23 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• He needs more water! Also try cranberry juice!!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:36 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• does he drink juice or acidic drinks such as orange juice or dare to say it....soda?? if so this is probably the reason... i agree... more water and cranberry juice try a mixed cranberry juice because my daughter isnt to fond o just the plain... they have white cranberry and strawberry mix and she LOVES it.... i just dilute it a bunch
    Babywinx

Answer by Babywinx at 11:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2008