Midwife, Doula, OB which delivered your baby/babies?

Now that I am over my twenty weeks mark I am wondering about who should I let deliver . Well I was actually thinking of having a Doula to help ease the stress of it being twins.

What was your experience like if you used someone other then the OB? Was your a singleton or multi birth?

karing4elmas

Asked by karing4elmas at 1:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• OB.... I believe its the safest route. JMO...
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I haven't had mine yet but I think I will go with the OB... However, I have heard of some doulas who work in conjunction with an OB. That's what I am trying to find.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• OB
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• OB. I had a doula with my first and it made absolutely no difference in the delivery - but she terrified me when my baby came out and the NICU team had to be called. He was in rough shape. But needless to say, I did not have one at the delivery of my next 4 babies.

Answer by missanc at 1:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• midwife!! i'd never have an ob interfere with my pregnancy or delivery. i still delivered in a hospital but i did it my way, not their way
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I delivered my own babies, LOL! But there was an OB there telling me to push.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• OB. I wanted a midwife for my second, but I think it's illegal here for them to attend VBACs. :(
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I'm seeing a midwife group and I have a doula. The midwife group is in a hospital and all of the CNMs work with the OB staff, however they only call on them in case of emergency. I think it's the best of natural birthing with medical backup if its needed.

Check out the video "Orgasmic Birth". Its really interesting and changed my view on how I wanted to handle my birth.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My fear is because I am having twins that there will be a need for a C-section so I was thinking OB . My personal one delivered my first child and she is very sensitive to what you would like in a delivery but I have been told that midwives and Doula have more one on one attention. I had a friend deliver with a midwife and she was not checking her alot it was really relaxed we all set in a room which look like some one's home. She labored and set in the twins and deliver without drugs .

Thanks for all the opinions
    karing4elmas

Comment by karing4elmas (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• OB all the way.

For those women who talk crap about obs and how they were demanding and only wanted to do it their way, find a new one then. Not all obs are that way. My ob is wonderful. She is also our family doctor, I love the fact that she was my doctor through both pregnancies, she delivered them, is their pediatriction and is dh and my doctor. She is amazing!! I would never choose a midwife or doula. My doctor went through 8 years of schooling and 3 years of conical rotations before being able to do anything with me or my family....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2011