Do white parents teach their children about African-American history?

To me it's all American history but it seems we're constantly educated on certain details of history, while given a general overview of others. I am often surprised to find out how ignorant (not in a negative way) people are of true American history.

UVWray

Asked by UVWray at 1:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I will. I don't know about anyone else. History is history...we should learn from it.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 1:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I should hope so!

KiraHudson

Answer by KiraHudson at 1:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My kids aren't homeschooled lol, so they learn at school :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yes.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I don't think we should ever focus on one kind of history to the exclusion of anything else... My husband is Korean but we don't plan on stressing "Korean history" any more than any other category of history. I do however think that learning about all history helps to strengthen the bonds among nations/ethnicities

That said - I do think it is important that history teaches about the history of all peoples, and in American history we should definitely be careful to include both the tragic and magnificent roles Africans have filled.

I have a friend who is black, and she is celebrating black history month by sharing a different story about interesting people throughout world history. Forst was about Olauda Equiano who had been a slave and accomplished quite a bit, and then today's was about "the Desert Mothers and Fathers" who played a role in early Christian history. I love these articles and have learned allot from them!
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 1:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yes,we do!! But on the other hand,do Afro-Americans get taught white history?? I find them very ignorant of it. They r all too caught up in the slave era. Hello! reality check! We r not all responsible for that! Further more u all were not even born yet!!! U all need to get over it!!!
    Anonymous

• Sure, but only to the same extent that I'll try to teach him about the history about all the major cultures that make up our country. And I also hope to teach him a little about what life is and was like all over the world. He's not going to be homeschooled, but I also don't believe that educating our kids is the sole responsibility of the school system.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• i think that everything is important and i don't care if a black Mexican chines or any other race did it first it is worth learning about
    shannonmcgeehen

Answer by shannonmcgeehen at 2:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I have to agree with the anon's answer to some extent. Of course I will teach my child(ren) about history and everything that American history entails. Whether it involves white, black, yellow, or blue people its history and we can all learn from it. That being said, I've had a lot of personal experience with African Americans who know very little about my cultures history. They haven't taken the time to study the polish people, and the torment my ancestors went through with slavery, concentration camps, unfair governments etc. Every race/ethnicity at some point in history has been taken advantage of in some way, and it does get irritating to constantly hear from my personal acquaintances about how their culture suffers more then others. Especially when they're 20 years old and the closest thing to slavery them or their family has ever experienced is having to clean their own rooms.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I will. I think it is an important part of understanding (or trying to) where the black culture of this country is today and how they got there. I think we still have a lot of problems in this country centered around race, and a lot of disadvantages are faced by people only because of the color of their skin. I want to try and give my children an understanding of this fact so that they can be aware of it, first and foremost, and maybe so they can try and be an agent of change. I think it's a very complex issue with layers and layers that all come together to paint a bigger picture of how the past has effected the present. Without trying to understand that then I don't think we have much hope for a better future. So I think the history of African-Americans is important and relevant today to all Americans.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2011