If I came to an interview with my afro, would you hire me?

Many of my "natural" friends say that they get their hair straightened to go on interviews because they believe it effects them being hired. I've known cafemom to be a place of honest and opinionated women and I just wanted to know what you all think.

UVWray

Asked by UVWray at 1:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Ya
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Of course, if you were right for the job
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 1:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• As long as it's not unkempt. But that goes for any hair type.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• As long as hair is neat and kept, then there shouldn't be a problem
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Assuming you presented yourself well and were qualified for the job, absolutely.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• depends on the position and how big the afro is lol. but if I was in charge heck yeah! I wouldnt care if you had an afro, purple hair, wore a suit you'd wear to court or a septum piercing as long as the resume is professional and I have a good overall first impression at the interview
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I should add, that would go for anyone...
    gramsmom

• Who cares about how you have your hair as long as you have the qualifications for the position?
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 1:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• It depends on the job. I really don't think it's professional looking for a professional upscale business atmosphere. Where were you applying?
    Anonymous

• ~*YES*~ I would hire you... I would be basing my opinion on your education, vocabulary when you speak, and so forth... and as long as you don't do anything too out there like turn it into an art piece with like a bird's nest in there or a boat (lookin like the crazy cat lady type person)... Afro makes no difference to straight hair! The biggest factor is how well you speak to be honest!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2011