concerned about 1 year old please help!!

Okay I was watching a video on you tube about autism. A few signs were flapping hands, grinding teeth, and shaking head. My son does all 3 of these...like lastnight while he was goin to sleep he was waving. But some of the other signs he doesn't do. He is very attached to me (his mommy), he babbles all the time, he's on time with milestones, and he looks at me in my eyes, and he responds to his name (most of he time).

He is very spoiled, and whines ALL THE TIME. he won't stay with anyone without me bein there and he ikes to hit, pinch, and bite. He wakes up throughout the night whining. I'm very worried about my lil man!! also he gets into everything even tho he know hes not suppose to. I an get onto him and he goes right back He is 13 months old!

Could he have a problem or do u think its just bc he's spoiled and with me 24/7??? Please help if u can....

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• actually he sounds like a normal 13 month old to me....
    my son did all of the same things.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• If you're worried, there's no harm in mentioning it to his doctor. But I think he sounds like he's right on track. If he starts losing his talking, or milestones, then I'd worry.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I think at that age it is too early to tell if there is any neurological problem present. It could be, as you say, bc he is always with you and getting what appears to be attention every waking minute from you that may be the cause. If you are still concerned (as any caring mother has every right to be for their children) then if he is still showing worrying symptoms when he reaches about 2 or 3 years of age then a trip to the doctor for a referral may be a good idea (even if it is just for reassurance purposes). Good luck.
    Creating78

Answer by Creating78 at 1:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• They told me that the earliest they could test for autism was 15 months of age. When I went at 15 mos they laughed at me at first. Then they spent more time with him and with the questionairre, and referred us to a behavioral pediatrician. Some little ones just flap for fun, my dd is perfectly fine and she was a flapper. My son however is autistic
    jade_Aidan

Answer by jade_Aidan at 1:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Sounds like a normal 13month old boy but if there is somehting that your gut is telling you no harm in having him checked out.
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 1:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Thanks everyone! I am defibiteky going to mention it to his doctor but I just wanted to hear othrr opinions bc my friends kids didn't act like this so I'm just concerned.
    EheartsZ07

Comment by EheartsZ07 (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• honey i think your worried about nothing he sounds like a typical 13month old. and let me tell you this you think he doesnt know better but he truly doesnt hes still learning. as for the not staying with anyone else if your his primary caregiver all day every day of course hes not going to want to stay with anyone else many children go through this at that age. My son is 22months and wont stay with anyone but mommy or daddy with out throwing a fit. Also my 22month old still wakes at night and whines and honestly im not even sure hes really awake when hes whinning. If you are truly worried talk to your dr but im sure he will assure you hes normal.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• my lil girl is 17 months. she is the same way. in to everything with me 24/7 i know how you feel. at first i thought maybe she is just not right and it was scary then i talked to my mom who raised 5 and my mother in law who raised 6 they both told me she was a normal kid. now she talks says sentences and is a little smarty pants lol. if you are really concerned bring it up at your 15 month appt the dr can tell you and if he needs it send him for some testing.....good luck i hope i helped
    shannonmcgeehen

Answer by shannonmcgeehen at 1:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• My son does most of what you described, so I think he just being a normal toddler.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• He sounds perfectly normal. It's perfectly fine to see a few of the "signs" come and go... every kid is different, and the things you mentioned are NOT the only things that matter when making a diagnosis. But if you're concerned, by all means ask his pediatrician about it. You can prepare by googling "early autism signs" and looking at the information from creditable organizations (CDC, AAP, Autism Speaks, etc.) If you're still worried and just not satisfied with his pediatrician's response, you can always ask for an evaluation. Just be prepared for everyone to tell you that he's fine.. because he's most likely just fine.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2011