how can i cure my toddler?I think he has the hand mouth foot virus.

He has little red bumps on his tongue and the bottom of his feet

emmamaligsa

Asked by emmamaligsa at 11:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Go to the doc...its an infection. It clears up really quickly.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 11:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• There is no specific cure for hand foot and mouth, you pretty much have to keep him home until the blisters dry up, but do make sure he is getting plenty of liquids and staying hydrated.
    TinaBeena1216

Answer by TinaBeena1216 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My kids caught it from my sisters kids that got it at daycare. Keep them from other kids while they are healing. Most dr's don't want you to bring them in. It spreads easily. Hydration and love!
    cutievibe

Answer by cutievibe at 2:30 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• It's similar to a cold - there are no medicines you can give to make it better faster. Just try to keep him comfortable. He will be contagious until the day after the last sore is gone.

My DD just got over this same thing. Her doctor told me the mouth sores are VERY painful and that I should give her pain meds as necessary. I also found that juice and pedialyte made them hurt worse. Since liquids are very important (more important than food!) I let her have as much milk as she wanted and I gave her some toddler formula so she'd get extra vitamins during this.

Be aware that kids can catch this multiple times - there are lots of variations of this virus and you can catch each one. Adults aren't likely to catch it since we probably had it many times as kids.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• If son is old enough to, you can use a combo of maalox/benedryl to help sooth the painful mouth sores. Dip a qtip into each and swipe inside of the mouth.
    Hope he is feeling better soon!
    New2WAHJ

Answer by New2WAHJ at 4:43 AM on Jul. 9, 2008