How do we stop snacking so much

I grew up like this and i have given it to him.. where whenever were hungry we eat... basically from morning to night time. How do i stop this..

I know their will be fighting and tantrums for the first few days but i need to figure something out.. and what kind of cheap healthy snacks are good that a 2 1/2 year old would eat.

Thank You

Mrs.Ro

Asked by Mrs.Ro at 1:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We have meals at set times. Breakfast around 8, snack around 10:30, lunch around 12:30, etc. Just set a time and stick to it, if it's not time for a snack, don't eat.
    A lot of our snacks are fresh fruit - bananas and blueberries are favorites. We also do yogurt, natural applesauce, raisins, and dry cereals.

Answer by missanc at 1:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• most toddlers do snack alot but if your really worried about it then just set a routine with him for meal times. breakfast then a small snack like apple slices then lunch nap if he still takes a nap then a snack after something like cheese and crackers then dinner. he will pick up on it.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• You just need to have a schedule. My kids and I were the same way. Now, when we wake up, between 8 and 9, it is breakfast. If they do not want breakfast they have to wait until snack because I am not preparing food all day. We have snack between 9:30 and 10, depending on what time they woke up. We have lunch at noon and then nap. Around 3 is an afternoon snack and then I try to not give them anything else until dinner, around 5:30. Then they have a bedtime snack. DH sometimes ruins it for me because he comes home from work hungry so he gets a snack while I am making dinner and of course gives some to the kids. Then he wonders why they don't eat much dinner, hmmm? Anyway, I try to stick to that and it seems to work. They all seem to eat their main meals a lot better for me as well. It also helps me to watch what I am eating and when.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 1:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Actually, it's better to let them eat whenever they're hungry. It's actually been proven that having five or six smaller meals a day instead of three major ones keeps your metabolism running better which leads to a healthier over all body weight. It also prevents over eating or making them eat when they're not hungry. As long as he's eating healthy things and getting something from each of the food groups, the way you're eating is totally fine.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I do agree on the schedule. I need one really bad. We are supposed to be at day care at 7:15. I get up at 530 take a shower.. hope he doesn't wake up, then i wake him up, give him breakfast.. then we wake daddy up at 630 gives him 20 minutes to get dressed and ready. doesn't happen.. Do i need to get up earlyer. I want something to work. and it's very hard...
    Mrs.Ro

Comment by Mrs.Ro (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I'd let him eat when he's hungry. Just keep him busy so he doesn't eat when he's bored

Answer by admckenzie at 2:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2011