Parents of older kids

Do you think young people with young kids have a clue when they are asnwering question for the 18+ etc. or teens when they only have little ones? I mean honsestly I had no clue what it would be like having and 18 year old until I got there, and don't feel they have the right to judge parents on here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• They don't have the right to judge, but, I do read what they say because as a teen and one thats close to my daughters age, I see what I can get from them and why they feel the way they do. Then if i don't like what they say, I ignore it, or look and see, maybe thats where my daughter is coming from. . It never hurts to listen and do what you want with the information.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• No one has the right to Judge anyone regardless of age. Every one should answer questions to give advice not to tell someone they are a bad parent. I mean what does the age of the person matter as long as they are trying to help you out?
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 10:59 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I agree. Just getting through those years of dealing with teens is a test of fire no one could understand unless they have done it.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:05 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I agree to a point. None of us should be judging. However, I do listen to what they have to say. Sometimes I get a perspective of someone my older kids age and they have been enlightening at times. Raising teens is impossible to 'get' unless you've run that gaunlet yourself.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:35 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• we dont have the right to judge but if the questions relate to something that maybe we went through then why cant we give our opinion. i was a teenager at one time. i know what i went through. so why is it so wrong to give my input. if i think it my help. it kind of offends me that she posted this question
    hunters_mom820

Answer by hunters_mom820 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• That young parent once was 18 and may just be giving you her opinion of what she went through. If this young parent is not yet 18, reality will kick her in the butt when her child turns 18. It's so easy to judge and say what you would do until you are in that situation!

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• remember everyone on here knows what its like to be a teenager.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I definitely think your perspective is different when dealing with an older child. I remember when my teenager was a baby and I couldnt even imagine letting her walk across the room without my hand there to catch her....then I couldn't imagine ever letting her ride her bike out of my arm's reach...but as they get older you see that they are ready and you find that you are ready. So, sometimes things aren't what you thought they would be like....and teenagers can be challenging in ways you never even foresee. That is why it is even worse to be judged by someone who isn't in that situation. As long as the answer is intended as helpful, no problem.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• No way, no way........
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Being a teen or young adult,, and being old enough to have a teen or young adult.. Is not the same thing to me. They can try to say something about it but until they get to were we are they won't fully understand.

Answer by louise2 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2008