To Veil or Not TO Veil

I am Catholic. While mostly the Catholic church has moved away from veiling, some women still wear hats/mantillas/veils for mass. I am also a student of Judaism and I have learned that many Jewish women cover their hair upon marriage. Others veil only for services. Some don't at all. I also understand that the practice is regarded differently by different sects of Islam.

I am curious are there women here of any religion who veil (in any form), when they do it, and why?

... for the record I don't veil, but have started considering wearing one for mass and for special times in prayer.

angelm523

Asked by angelm523 at 2:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• The only time I have ever worn a veil was for my wedding.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I veil when I am at Temple or the Gurdwara. I also veil when I'm around some family members (older ones.to put older in perspective, I'm 48.. so older is 80's and up. lol). I was raised Hindu, and I am married into a Sikh household/family.

I veil out of respect both cultural and religious. For Hindus, veiling is standard in Temple as a sign of modesty and respect. In Indian culture veiling (usually just a scarf/duppatta or even part of your sari is what is used to "veil") is a sign of modesty for many For Sikhs, covering the hair is standard for men and women. Men, who have taken amrit (which for lack of a better term is like a baptism.but it isn't that in the sense that a baptism is in the Christian faith) do not cut their hair, shave their beards, and they must always wear a turban in public. For women it's the same standard (minus the beard part.. lol) Also heads must be covered when entering the Gurdwara .
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Thank you pixie_trix - I just learned a new word and I'm about to go google Gurdwara :)
    angelm523

Comment by angelm523 (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Gurdwara are Sikh Temples. The most famous one in the world is the "Golden Temple" in Amritsar India.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I'm Catholic and I veil. For everyday normaly just wear a bandana. At church I use a head scarf or small round veil.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I was raised Catholic and the only person I ever saw wear a veil in church was my Grandmother. And she never went to mass without one. She made a lovely lace veil for me when I had my first communion, but I only ever ore it that one time. My mom put it in the box when she put away my dress. My mom felt it was old fashioned and so we never wore them. I do like the idea of wearing one in church though.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I am Christian and I used to veil during communion when I went to a very conservative church. I like the idea of doing it and am not against it. However, it is not required at the church I attend.
    LeeLeeCandleGrl

Answer by LeeLeeCandleGrl at 6:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2011

• I wore one at my wedding, and I have occasionally worn one in church. I also have worn veils when in countries where veils are the norm rather than the exception.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 6:50 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i dont nor would i
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2011