How do you mothers do it?

i want to do all these things , play with son. laundry dishes, clean the house.. make food.. learn how to cook at the same time :) with my 2 1/2 year old boy around. he gets up at 6 am during the week. i force myself up at 5:30. and then we get home at 430. he goes to bed at 8. when do i do all of this?? and i go to bed shortly after..

I need advice

Mrs.Ro

Asked by Mrs.Ro at 2:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just have too. It's life.
    Anonymous

• They don't do all those things in 1 day !!!!!! At least I did not. I played my kids and kept kitchen clean. Did cleaning weekends !!!!
    ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 2:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Laundry can run while you do other things, same with the dishwasher if you have one (I didn't when my kids were little). I learned lots of quick and easy recipes so that I had dinner ready without spending all day in the kitchen and I focused on cleaning one room each day and spent 15-30 minutes picking up around the house before bed. My big rule is that I have to have the dishes done (or now, dishwasher running) and the washer empty before I go to bed.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• it is hard i know i was a single mom with my son and i wanted to do everything....but i shortly realized i wasn't able to clean everyday if i wanted that good relationship with my son so i stopped cleaning everyday and only once a week what ever day i had off or did not have to leave the house. and dishes i did right before bed time. even though i couldn't get every thing done i loved that my son and i had a great relationship and i wouldn't have done it any diff
    shannonmcgeehen

Answer by shannonmcgeehen at 2:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• You have to go at your own pace and figure out your own way of doing things. There are days when all I do is play with my daughter and the mess/laundry can wait. There are other days when I need to clean and I let other things occupy my child. There is no "right" way to do it all. Imo, the most important thing of all is to spend time with your child because time goes by so quickly, just enjoy it while you can and don't put so much pressure on yourself :)
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Have your 2 1/2 year old help you with laundry by loading the washer or dryer with you, sing a pick up toys song together while you and he pick up toys, Bring him in the kitchen with you while you make dinner talking to him the entire time so he increases vocab or while he helps you make dinner. You can have him do easy things like pour this into the pan, or throw away the box. Keeps them busy while you spend quality time together..use paper plates that way he can help you set the table or throw them away when you guys are done and you have less dishes to wash when he goes to bed.. Just don't expect perfection of yourself, he will grow and get older and it will get easier and you will have more time to clean your house.
    Anonymous

• I do most of my cleaning after the kids are in bed. Yes that means I'm up late most of the time but it has to be done and I do laundry on the days that my hubby is off that way he can watch the kids for me since we have to use a laundry mat. My days I use for cooking and playing with the kids when they want to, mine are a little older though and I have one in school for a few hours during the week. I don't work right now so I have more time now than a working mom but when I did work I got home, played with my son for a few, made dinner, we played for a little bit then he went to bed. i did a quick pick up and then it was off to bed for me. I saved the major cleaning for my days off and alternated between cleaning and playing on those days. your son is old enough to play by himself for a bit while you clean, or see if a friend or family member can keep an eye on him for a couple of hours while you clean. It is possible to do it
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• oh yea and you can have him help with the easy stuff too like picking up toys, and it does get easier as they get older although my house is far from spotless lol.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yeah, it's hard - and usually something falls through the cracks. And if you're working, well, you just don't have time to do everything all the time. Start small. Want to spend more time reading with him? Make it part of your routine that you read a couple books right before leaving the house in the morning, and read another handful of books before bed. Want to cook a little more? Make home cooked Friday night dinners (or weekend brunch or whatever) a "thing" in your family. And plan it out with your son - take him shopping with you for the ingredients the day before and ask him to pick out some of the ingredients (do you want spiral pasta or spaghetti, peaches or watermelon?) When you are doing laundry or cleaning, turn on some music and sing with your son (or to him)! Be silly. Have fun. Kids don't need you to be supermom - the little things count for a lot.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I used to wonder the same thing, I had two friends who were supermoms and I always felt like nobody gave me the "supermom handbook" in which all the secrets were revealed. Several months later I discovered friend one had a housekeeper in once a week and friend two did it all until she could not do it anymore and quit her job. I have a similar schedule and here are some things I do. I get up extra early one day a week and do a cleaning spree and wear leg and arm weights to make it work out. I compensate for this lack of sleep on Saturday or Sunday by napping with my child (the best part of the week). I do the best I can with dinner midweek but only really cook one big meal a week. Sunday is family dinner time and we sit and eat a big meal together. I find turkeys, ham and roasts impress everyone and involve more putting something in the oven and waiting vs labor. I focus on one room a week in detail instead of trying to go nuts
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2011