Why is my son so bad?

My two year old son has always been high strung. He will scream at the top of his lungs just because he doesn't get his way. He has the loudest most blood curdling scream I have ever heard. He will scream if you dont feed him what he wants or give him the right kind of juice. He screams and kicks and will bang his head on the door of his room when I try to make him take a nap. Nothing we have tried seems to help. By the end of the night when he finally goes to bed, I just want to cry because he has exhausted me so bad. I have other kids and have gone through the "terrible twos" and it was nothing like this. He has been this way since he was born, constantly screaming at the top of his lungs when he doesn't get his way. He doesn't play well with other kids, he just wants to take whatever they have. He will hit and kick and scream until he gets his way. I'm beginning to wonder if he's just bratty and will out grow it, or if there is really something not right about him. Someone please help!

summergirl618

Asked by summergirl618 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sometimes and this isn't me trying to be mean. or judge , this is what i have seen and been told.
    Sometimes its the surrounding.. like other kids do it. and so he copies..

Have you tried anything..? if you have what? that might help answer the question better.
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 2:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• You need to be firm with him and teach him that that is not acceptable behavior. Check out some episodes of Super Nanny. She is awesome and a lot of her techniques help.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• He doesn't go to day care, so he's not around a bunch of other kids, just our 6 year old daughter and 8 and 10 year old boys. The others are all fairly easy going, especially with him. They try to play with him but he won't do it, he just tries to take their toys. My husband's dad yelled at him a lot as a kid, so we don't believe in yelling at the kids, we try to talk to them calmly, but often I just have to walk away from him so I dont scream. We have tried to pop him on his diaper or put him in time out for a minute or two. Putting him in time out is really the only thing that helps. It will stop him for a few minutes, but then he is right back at it as soon as he doesn't get his way!
    summergirl618

Comment by summergirl618 (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• 2 is a really hard age because most toddlers are basically like tiny maniacs that will test EVERYTHING you do. My daughter does it too. You don't necessarily have to "yell" but you absolutley have to be firm about you expectations with behavior, as well as consistant. I think that if you let him out of time out and he goes back to what he was doing... put him right back in time out. Even if you have to do this all day eventually he will get the point that you are the boss, not him. I feel for you, it REALLY hard to be a parent of a two year old!
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Yeah, he has ALWAYS been this way. Even as an infant he would scream and scream if he wasnt getting his way! He's a precious little boy, but his attitude is so bad that no one will watch him, except his grand dad! I feel like all i do is discipline him, and it makes me sad, because i dont want to feel like the "mean mommy" but what else can you do? I can't let him keep on! I've begun to wonder if maybe its possible he has some sort of personality disorder, but I hate to label my kid like that!
    summergirl618

Comment by summergirl618 (original poster) at 2:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• I think there is something causing this behavior at home. He is over stressed for some reason. Maybe he needs activities to interest him. He needs to be redirected not yelled at or spanked. He is probably bored and is seeking attention and the only way he gets attention is to act out. I would schedule time alone with him for each parent to take him out or do an activity with him. Although you may not realize it but his environment may be too hectic & stressing for him & he may just be a sensitive child. Figure out the cause and you can find a solution. I would speak to his Pediatrician also.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Pick him up put him in his room and tell him when he is done he can come and be firm!

He has to know you are not playing around.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• first i want to say i have never had this problem so i dont know really what you are going through my daughter has been my hardest child so far she dont listen and she thinks it is her way or the high way. i have tried everything like you but nothing works with her . the one thing we have been doing right now is when she starts throwing her fits we act like we dont see her or hear her we try to act like she dont matter she hates it and she feels as if we dont care we do but we want her to stop and it seems to work we have another baby coming in may and we don't want to still be dealing with her behavior then,,,
    god luck and best wishes
    shannonmcgeehen

Answer by shannonmcgeehen at 3:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• there is nothing "overstressing" or hectic about our home though. we can be sitting in the floor playing with cars and he will freak out for no apparent reason. It can be just he and I at the house, and he acts the same way as when we have all the kids there. I know he's very high strung, but we cant even go out to eat dinner at a restaurant because of his behavior. Sometimes, he can be sweet as can be, but those times are few and far between! He will calm down if I put him in his room and make him stay there a while. He will scream at first, but after a little while he gets over it and starts playing. Its like he cant handle too much interaction or freedom. Put him in his room with the baby gate up, and he chills out pretty good after a while, I just dont like leaving him in his room by himself all day.
    summergirl618

Comment by summergirl618 (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• Your son sounds ALOT like mine. Mine is now three and things are getting much better now that he is growing into a bigger human. I think the predicament is three-fold. 1) your child is natrually strong willed and that is a personality trait that you can't get rid of 2) he is at the age where this is common, made only worse by number 1 and giving in to him only makes it worse 3) at least once in a while it works for him, because you like all mothers don't want your child upset and after several minutes sometimes you just give in for your own sake. I learned that you and EVERYONE including Grandma and the spoiling brigade need to 1) explain before a particularly troublesome situation what in a positive way you expect to happen 2) when fussing and screaming starts you need to send him to his room, ignore him or send him to time out and EVERYONE needs to do the same thing. 3) before you let him off the remind him why he was there.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2011